Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know this outfit?

https://www.swshoes.co.uk/

Handstitched all-leather shoes 2 pairs for £60 sale price. Their press ad I read today (UK Daily Mail) says they use "only the finest premium grade calf leather" and "open channel hand stitched Goodyear welted construction". "Leather upper, leather sole, leather lining and leather insole". Half sizes, free returns. Chinese or such presumably.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
There are other threads on this question. However many of their shoes are a rather nasty looking high shine finish.

What "premium grade calf" means is wide open - even all Northampton makers from Loake to Lobb claim to use "top grade calf" - I believe it with Lobb but not Loake - theres calf and calf and its what you do with it anyway that can make all the difference.

No one seems to quite know where these shoes are made but certainly not in Europe anywhere!

They certainly appear to represent fantastic value for money and one or two members have reported they have been satisfied with them but if you are used to Church's I'd give them a wide berth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I made the mistake of buying two pairs of the loafers about 4 years ago @ £100 for the pair from SW.

They will not take any polish into the leather - that is how bad/cheap the leather is. I wore them I think 3 times in total, a total waste of money.

The only thing going at the moment (if you can say that) is that you get two pairs for £60.00 you pay more than that to get your decent leather soled shoes resoled than that !

My advise is pay a little more and buy one a pair of Loakes in the sales online and you will have a much better shoe/boot which will feel and look alot better for £20 more. And you will be able to polish them !

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You get what you pay for... What strikes me here is that the description of the shoes (taken at face value) is so grossly misleading. How do they get away with it? ScotsIrish's comment on polish means corrected grain.

They sell 7-fold ties, incidentally (see catalogue) (!).

·
Registered
314 Posts
the old saying, "if sounds too good to be true...." should be applied here.

IIRC there was some legal action taken against SW a while back, something to do with their claims of english made, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
there was indeed - see here
So really the case against Clifford James was rather weak and mostly their claims for Samuel Windsor shoes were upheld. However it seems to me to be highly significant that they provided no proof that Samuel Windsor shoes had been made since 1890. It doesn't mean they haven't been but one would think CJ would feel it very much in their interests to provide such proof thus bolstering their reputation.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting to see Charles Tyrwhitt being described as a shoemaker...

·
Registered
964 Posts
No one seems to quite know where these shoes are made but certainly not in Europe anywhere!
Hello,
I did contact Clifford James about the shoes some time back and was told that they are definitely made in India. Given that 99% of Barkers and Loakes etc are made there now anyway they may even be using the same factory.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.