Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to visit WW Chan for my first bespoke suit when the time comes. I have read conflicting reports on the Shanghai shop being cheaper than their Hong Kong shop. After a google search to see if any updated information had definitively answered this question, I discovered this thread. According to the second-to-last poster, Sam's and Chan share tailors and have similar level of quality. Never heard that before. Any comments?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Would anyone with any experience with Sam's or Chan be able to verify the claim in the second-to-last post in the above thread? As poorly regarded as Sam is and as highly regarded as Chan is I thought the only thing they shared is the building. In fact, the poster says they are next door to each other, whereas I thought Sam's is on the first floor and Chan is on the second.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That post references a Sam's in Shanghai. Is it related to the Sam's in Hong Kong?
That's a good question. I checked and according to the website of Sam's of Hong Kong no Shanghai shop is listed. It's interesting that in Hong Kong Chan is located above one Sam's while in Shanghai Chan is located next to another Sam's. I'll choose the HK Chan as it has the rep.

·
Site Creator
11,754 Posts
Resolved!

Just got this from W.W.Chan:

Following are some facts about W.W. Chan & Sons Tailor Ltd. and Sam's Tailor, Shanghai which may be of interest to you:

1. For most items, the prices of W.W. Chan & Sons in Shanghai are still little (about 5%) cheaper than our Hong Kong shop because of the fact that the exchange rate between RMB and Hong Kong dollar has increased, prices are getting closer.

2. W.W. Chan & Sons operate and manage Sam's Tailor, Shanghai. Our shops in Shanghai are next to each other therefore we are able to share some of our resources available. However, for your information, each shop has its own team of in-house tailors to take measurements and perform fittings. But in some cases when one shop is too busy and the tailors are unavailable, if the client prefers not to wait, we can arrange tailor from next door to perform the work.

3. In Shanghai, both W.W. Chan & Sons and Sam's Tailor have the work done in our own workshop. Our tailoring team has been trained since 1986 in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. We found that our work is so unique that we are not able to recruit new tailors from the market. All our tailors have been trained intensively by our master tailors for at least four to six years before they can start working independently.

4. The suits that W.W. Chan & Sons, Shanghai offer to clients are different to those offer by Sam's Shanghai. W.W. Chan suits are made with floating canvas and hand canvas. The suits that Sam's Shanghai offer are with fused canvas. People know that once the fuse canvas is glued with the front part of the jacket, it can then be mass produced by production line in the factory or by workers with less tailoring skills Obviously, this is not what Sam's Shanghai does. Our fused suits are done by experienced tailors of our own workshop. Although they are different team of tailors that work on floating canvas, Sam's suits are cut and trimmed by the same tailors that do W.W. Chan's suits and so do all other details like roll lapel, sleeves with real button holes, etc..

We hope that answers your questions,

Best Regards,

W. W. CHAN & SONS TAILOR LTD.

Hong Kong Shop:
A2, 2/F, Burlington House, 94 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Ph.: (852) 2366 9738 Fax: (852) 2368 2194

Maoming Lu, Shanghai
124-A02 Maoming Nan Lu, by Huai Hai Zhong Lu, 200020, China.
Ph.: (86-21) 5404 1469 Fax: (86-21) 5404-0539

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got this from W.W.Chan:

Following are some facts about W.W. Chan & Sons Tailor Ltd. and Sam's Tailor, Shanghai which may be of interest to you:

1. For most items, the prices of W.W. Chan & Sons in Shanghai are still little (about 5%) cheaper than our Hong Kong shop because of the fact that the exchange rate between RMB and Hong Kong dollar has increased, prices are getting closer.

2. W.W. Chan & Sons operate and manage Sam's Tailor, Shanghai. Our shops in Shanghai are next to each other therefore we are able to share some of our resources available. However, for your information, each shop has its own team of in-house tailors to take measurements and perform fittings. But in some cases when one shop is too busy and the tailors are unavailable, if the client prefers not to wait, we can arrange tailor from next door to perform the work.

3. In Shanghai, both W.W. Chan & Sons and Sam's Tailor have the work done in our own workshop. Our tailoring team has been trained since 1986 in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. We found that our work is so unique that we are not able to recruit new tailors from the market. All our tailors have been trained intensively by our master tailors for at least four to six years before they can start working independently.

4. The suits that W.W. Chan & Sons, Shanghai offer to clients are different to those offer by Sam's Shanghai. W.W. Chan suits are made with floating canvas and hand canvas. The suits that Sam's Shanghai offer are with fused canvas. People know that once the fuse canvas is glued with the front part of the jacket, it can then be mass produced by production line in the factory or by workers with less tailoring skills Obviously, this is not what Sam's Shanghai does. Our fused suits are done by experienced tailors of our own workshop. Although they are different team of tailors that work on floating canvas, Sam's suits are cut and trimmed by the same tailors that do W.W. Chan's suits and so do all other details like roll lapel, sleeves with real button holes, etc..

We hope that answers your questions,

Best Regards,

W. W. CHAN & SONS TAILOR LTD.

Hong Kong Shop:
A2, 2/F, Burlington House, 94 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Ph.: (852) 2366 9738 Fax: (852) 2368 2194

Maoming Lu, Shanghai
124-A02 Maoming Nan Lu, by Huai Hai Zhong Lu, 200020, China.
Ph.: (86-21) 5404 1469 Fax: (86-21) 5404-0539

Thank you very much, Andy! With this information, I'll make Chan HK the place for my first bespoke suits. If the prices at Chan Shanghai were significantly different, then I would more strongly consider them. Meanwhile, Chan HK has come with the recommendations of many satisfied knowledgeable clients, such as yourself, that has steered me in that direction. Thanks again:icon_smile:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Interesting -- but potentially confusing for customers in HK. Chan is upstairs from Sam's in HK, but they are most definitely different businesses.
I was initially confused.

Let's hope it stays that way.
I agree. Sam's HK has a terrible reputation for both product quality and customer service quality.

Fine I will not move from Gordon Yao and my last WWC suit will remain that - my last.
The overwhelming response to WW Chan has been very positive, while some responses have been OK and a minority very critical. Why do you not like your Chan suit, GBR?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My Chan suit is fine but I am concerened to ensure that the integirty of the product is complete. There is a steady trickly of comment about Chan which does not make me happy and I have no need to spend my money with them

Whilst sweat shops are responsible for much of the labour in HK a few cutters do have their own - some of the photgraphs of Chans work over months show differences which do suggest farming out the work..

I was initially confused.

I agree. Sam's HK has a terrible reputation for both product quality and customer service quality.

The overwhelming response to WW Chan has been very positive, while some responses have been OK and a minority very critical. Why do you not like your Chan suit, GBR?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.