Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your shoes rotation set, do you have the same shoe, i.e. same brand and model, in a different color?
Is it something that should be avoided, at least in a limited in number rotation set (I mean less than 10)?

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
When I find a pair of shoes in which I particularly like the design and the fit is right on the money, it is not unusual for me to buy several pair; one black, one burgundy, one chestnut, etc. It works for me! :)

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When I find a pair of shoes in which I particularly like the design and the fit is right on the money, it is not unusual for me to buy several pair; one black, one burgundy, one chestnut, etc.
I do the same thing, not only with shoes but with anything. My overall attire tends to be so conservative, some would say bland, that even when I wear something different it often doesn't look that much different so wearing the same thing isn't that big of a deal for me. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
15 Posts
Of course. That way, when I'm trying to decide on a color, I don't have to choose. I just buy both, or all 3, or whatever. I know myself, and if I forced myself to choose, I'd be constantly thinking about the other color and eventually either crater or kick myself when they're no longer available.

That's only if I like each color equally. I don't like oxblood much, so between brandy and oxblood, it isn't a dilemma. I usually struggle between black (staple, versatile) and some shade of brown (opulent, patina, and more fun to match with grey).

I'm the same way with shirts and pants too. I consider shirts and pants to be consumables, so why not increase the rotation?

·
Registered
998 Posts
In your shoes rotation set, do you have the same shoe, i.e. same brand and model, in a different color?
Is it something that should be avoided, at least in a limited in number rotation set (I mean less than 10)?
I have several models that I purchased the same shoe in different colors.
I also have some models that I purchased the same color. The price was right and I knew I'd wear them.
There are no shoe laws you have to follow. Buy what you want if your finances permit.
Only you can decide what's worth purchasing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a two identical captoes in different colors in rotation, but as the model is so unflashy and the colors so different (black and a rich, slightly reddish, medium brown), I don't think anyone would ever notice even if i happened to wear them back to back all the time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It was once quite common to see particularly well-dressed men - whatever "well-dressed" may mean in these shifting and uncertain times - who had, so to speak, found their own style and adhered to it more or less rigidly. While this was undoubtedly due in no small measure to the fact that they came of age in a more codified era, it was nonetheless possible to distinguish between those men for whom business or professional attire was merely a matter of correct form and those who had found a singular sartorial expression; those men who, in short, knew that (for example) a spread collar was best-suited to their thin faces.

The twin forces of rampant consumerism and code-erosion will inevitably see men adopting a greater range of looks. Add to this that there are few salespeople, uncles and fathers with sufficient taste and knowledge (and therefore nothing to pass on).

I wear only white or pale-blue shirts, dark-blue suits and either solid or regimental-striped ties during the working week. I have also found that no footwear is better suited to a professional context than a simple lace-up oxford model. I therefore own several pairs which, to my wife's exasperation, look identical - to her, I should add!

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Oh good heavens, about half my shoe wardrobe consists of the same styles in differing colors:

AE Park Avenue: black, merlot
AE Byron: black, brown, chili
AE Bradley: black, chili
AE Fairfax: merlot, chestnut
AE Hancock: brown, brogue suede
AE Belmont: black & white, brown & white
AE Benton: merlot, chili
AE Ashton: merlot, chili
AE Stockbridge: black, chili
AE Wilbert: brown, caramel (two pairs of each)
Ferragamo Stream: black, brown

·
2,973 Posts
Likewise

I have the same, or nearly the same, shoe in different colors and the same, or nearly the same, shoe in the same colors. Best example is the EG Chelsea: two pair in chestnut, one in black, and a pair of Fawsleys, which could be described as a Chelsea variant, also in chestnut. I have a pair of EG Cardiffs in dark oak with a single leather sole, and am awaiting the arrival of another pair in chestnut, but with rubber soles.

One can't have too many shoes.

Regards
Gurdon

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I do not; however, there is no issue with this. For example:

Oxford model in black and brown
Derby model in black and brown

That is your weekly rotation, assuming Friday is casual wear. That means you need 3 smart/casual/sneaker shoes, you could even have the same loafer/buckle in three different shades.

·
Registered
102 Posts
EG Dover in Dark Oak
EG Dover in Suede

EG Asquith in Dark Oak
EG Asquith in Chestnut

EG Lichfield in Black
EG Lichfield in Burgundy

EG Inverness in Burnt Pine
EG Inverness in Edwardian

I also tend to buy socks, pants, eyeglass frames, actually a bunch of things in pairs.

640 Posts
Oh good heavens, about half my shoe wardrobe consists of the same styles in differing colors:

AE Park Avenue: black, merlot
AE Byron: black, brown, chili
AE Bradley: black, chili
AE Fairfax: merlot, chestnut
AE Hancock: brown, brogue suede
AE Belmont: black & white, brown & white
AE Benton: merlot, chili
AE Ashton: merlot, chili
AE Stockbridge: black, chili
AE Wilbert: brown, caramel (two pairs of each)
Ferragamo Stream: black, brown
I do this too, though not a prolifically as Jan. With AEs my MO is usually to wait until the model is discontinued or on sale, then cal the Shoe Bank and order a pair in each color.

I have the CJ Weymouth in tan and dk brown and they fit into different situations.
I like the C&J Weymouth and have it in dark brown, antique tan, and black. It is my favorite dress shoe.
I envy each of you too., especially dfloyd with three colors.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
God thats a lot of shoes !! I am saving shoe buying as a future obsession until my clothes obsession wanes a bit (only due to storage limitations of course). For maximum rotational flexibility you can always wear the same model but different colors on different feet, especially if your after the maximum number of permutations. Assuming you aren't that adventurous I would say swapping out different colors of the same style is fine and might not ever even be noticed by anyone save yourself. Its evident here that people go for the style first and then fill in with the available colors as often as not.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Alden PTB: Cigar, #8 (a BB shoe but still counts)
Alden tassel loafer: #8, suede
Alden LHS: whiskey, #8
Alden chukka: kudu and #8 (incoming)
AE Fairfax: black, tan and another tan for antiquing/backup
AE Randolph, black shell, burgundy shell - this is an overkill, AE outlets need to stop offering discounts :)
AE Winthrop/Castine(I consider them the same shoe): black, tan^2, chili
RM Williams chelsea boot: brown kangaroo, tan calf
I also have various colors of Sperry topsiders...

Some of these (AE) I purchased due to a particular last fitting me well, and the shoe being discontinued.

That said, most of these look "the best" in one particular color that matches the form/function of the shoe. For example kangaroo RM Williams gets more use than their calf counterparts. So do tan Fairfaxes.

If one has less than 10 pairs, it's better to stay away from this sort of duplication.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I like having no repeats.

My only exception was the AE Westgate wholecut. When I heard that was out of manufacture I got a black to go aside my brandy. <3 I love that wholecut.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.