Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I noticed something wasn't quite right with Bob Loblaw's Ball. A visit to a urologist, then an ultrasound confirmed there was indeed a problem. I was able to scrape up enough money to have a radical right orchiectomy and I might be well on my way to a full recovery.

Gentlemen, be sure to regularly check on things down there. If you notice a lump in your scrotum - it might not be a big deal. If you feel something not right and it is attached to your testicle - get help right away!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Bob, but perhaps a little TMI?

--Chase

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Bob, but perhaps a little TMI?

--Chase
I disagree. It is important for men to be aware of this. However in the future I will endeavor to injure myself in a more gentlemanly manner.

Also pathology results come back on Wednesday. I am anxiously awaiting the results and hope to hear I am all better now. Thanks for the well-wishes.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I disagree. It is important for men to be aware of this.
October is Breast Cancer Overawareness Month. Several years ago, my mother had a vague spot on a mammogram and they scheduled a follow-up for six months, which now means her regular annual check-up is in October, when everyone is selling pink things and screaming about the likelihood of breast cancer.

Meanwhile, prostate cancer is quite common but except for the occasional awful public service announcement (PSA - no pun intended), not much is said.

Testicular cancer is NEVER talked about, except when discussing Lance Armstrong. The imbalance between coverage of his condition and that of his ex-girlfriend Sheryl Crow's breast cancer is striking.

Self-checking is definitely important. They recommend prostate screenings every year after 40, but I think the rule for mammograms applies as well - if you had a close relative who had cancer fairly young, start getting tested ten years before the age when they were diagnosed.

·
Registered
Tie
19,957 Posts
Several years ago, my mother had a vague spot on a mammogram and they scheduled a follow-up for six months, which now means her regular annual check-up is in October, when everyone is selling pink things and screaming about the likelihood of breast cancer.
My mother had a lump on her breast years ago but they found it and it was removed,thank god.She was upset that she would have breast cancer but I'm happy she didn't.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get your pathology results back? I hope you are feeling better!
Oh yes I did. I had 100% stage Ia seminoma.

Being a student and having no insurance, I knocked on every door I could to get help and was coming up empty. Some places would try to help, but it would have taken months. When I asked some friends for leads to more agencies I could call or visit, a "ballout" fundraiser was created (it coincided with the bailout for maximum punnage) and within days I had enough cash to be able to negotiate surgery. Some of the donors told me they knew people who died of the disease because they were embarassed or thought the bump would just go away. Two people out of fourty or so donors. Granted my population is very small, but that to me is alarming about how low the level of awareness of this disease can be.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you feeling better Bob?
Thanks, Howard. I feel much better than I did prior to the surgery. Every time a pulse of pain would come over me, I would think I was too late and the cancer had spread. I would lie very still at night afraid that if I moved, The Beast would stir. It was not a fun time for Bob.

My incision now looks like just a light scratch and all functions operate as well as they ever did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.