Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
+ 1 for the Merkur. I have the Futur model and cannot rate it highly enough. Of course the real trick is nailing down which brand of blade you prefer...... I have, after a loooooong series of trials, settled on Merkur's own blade. Also worth considering are Feathers, German made Wilkinson Sword's and Derby's.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
+ 1 for the Merkur. I have the Futur model and cannot rate it highly enough. Of course the real trick is nailing down which brand of blade you prefer...... I have, after a loooooong series of trials, settled on Merkur's own blade. Also worth considering are Feathers, German made Wilkinson Sword's and Derby's.
I like Feather blades,but they take alot of getting used to (styptic pencils never had as much use in my house as they did my first week with Feather).Gillette blades are pretty good as well,and not as unpleasant to break in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like Feather blades,but they take alot of getting used to (styptic pencils never had as much use in my house as they did my first week with Feather).Gillette blades are pretty good as well,and not as unpleasant to break in.
I'm pretty impressed with the Bic blades that (I believe) West Coast Shaving carries. My go to blade remains the Israeli personas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Personnas.They're to dull for me,and they tend to cause "razor jump",at least on my face.
That's one of the interesting things about blades. Everyone seems to have some that work well for them and some that don't. I bought a bunch of Derby's and found that they just didn't work for me. I've never been so cut up. No matter what razor I used or what setting I tried I just could not get these to work well for me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am using safety razors for a long time now, and I don't want to change it even if a good elec.razor comes out on the market... I'm wondering, what is the difference between razors with teeth and those without it?... btw I'm using Gillete mach3 turbo...
Just to clarify, are you calling the Gillette Mach 3 a safety razor?

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am using safety razors for a long time now, and I don't want to change it even if a good elec.razor comes out on the market... I'm wondering, what is the difference between razors with teeth and those without it?... btw I'm using Gillete mach3 turbo...
The Mach 3 turbo is a modern safety razor,this thread is about double edged razors.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I too have recently thrown away all my crap 'modern' razors and have returned to the classic safety razor. Here's my recent purchase:

Merkur Hefty Classic

This beauty gives one incredible shave.

Cheers.
Well, Redds, what was it like switching from the multi-bladed modern crap to a traditional shaver? I mean, did it take a lot of getting used to ? Was there much blood?

I have been using Art of Shaving products with disposable razors because I have been unsure about going the way you have, and the three-to-five bladed jobs don't do a thing for me. In fact, once you get beyond two blades, I find they nick, especially around the chin and upper-lip.

So what was your transition like?

Joe

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, Redds, what was it like switching from the multi-bladed modern crap to a traditional shaver? I mean, did it take a lot of getting used to ? Was there much blood?

I have been using Art of Shaving products with disposable razors because I have been unsure about going the way you have, and the three-to-five bladed jobs don't do a thing for me. In fact, once you get beyond two blades, I find they nick, especially around the chin and upper-lip.

So what was your transition like?

Joe
It's actually been quite smooth, both the shave and the transition, that is. Very few cuts and a much closer shave. I probably cut myself more with the multiple blade razors than I have with this single blade.

I learned to shave with a single blade safety razor and it's good to return. I won't be going back to the 'modern' way of shaving.

If you're already using a razor(s), then the transition will not be hard at all. I believe those using electric razors have a harder time transiting to a blade. Give it a go.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.