Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple times trad clothing, mostly sack suits worn by people who just don't know what the hell they are doing; usually it is someone buttoning up a 3/2 all the way and looking clueless.

But last night I saw a fellow on the train wearing a gray Brooks Brothers sack suit (I could tell because of the sleeve lining) and no trouser cuff; horrible Italian pointy toed shoes and a silky looking striped shirt. It was horrible.

I thought for a minute it might be Kiton Brioni.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't deal well w/ Pharisees.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
In that case, I'd at least think the salesman would inform him. Then again, Brooks offers so few sacks now that maybe the salesmen don't even know how to wear them.
Yeah, or how about at the outlet, where some poorly-selling sacks are banished. Think there's anyone at a 346 that knows what a sack jacket is?

JB

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell, in college when I did a summer at Brooks, guys came in and didn't care what cut they bought in Brooksease. They just nodded along w/ what the salesman told them...which unfortunately wasn't much . . .

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah, or how about at the outlet, where some poorly-selling sacks are banished. Think there's anyone at a 346 that knows what a sack jacket is?

JB
Nope, at least not at the Seattle outlet. Unfortunately, most of the staff, but not all, in the Seattle and the recently closed Bellevue retail stores have no clue about sack jackets either.

Was in the Seattle store the other day and they had some yahoo working there decked out in some Euro-trash outfit, with vest, sans jacket.

Cheers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question?

I am new to this forum. I do not own a BB suit, however, since I found this site I am learning a lot about men's fashions. SO enlighten me. What is a Sack suit and what is the rule for cuffs in the pants. If someone could post a picture in would be helpful.

Signed,
The Rookie

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I am new to this forum. I do not own a BB suit, however, since I found this site I am learning a lot about men's fashions. SO enlighten me. What is a Sack suit and what is the rule for cuffs in the pants. If someone could post a picture in would be helpful.
Signed,
The Rookie
I am on the blueberry right now and cannot post pictures. I will be happy to explain in the morning. It is not a ridiculous difference than what you are probably thinking about.

PS Charles Mingus was a genius

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Signed,
The Rookie
The sack suit is a suit whose jacket has very little structure. It does not have darts (pleats above the pockets). It also has natural shoulders (no padding). I believe the standard is a center vent.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Take a look at the Trad what I'm wearing and compare to the Fashion what are you wearing and you'll begin to pick up on the differences.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Last one I promise. Here is some great technical drawings that Sator provided on a previous post.

Historically, I should add that I think that 'sack coat' was orignally a generic term in American English for a coat which was NOT a body coat ie a 'lounge coat' in British English. The thing that it lacked in comparison to a body coat was the waist seam. It would appear that only later did the term come to be extended to denote American lounge coats which lacked darts.

This comes from Salisbury's System of Actual Measurement and Drafting, New York, 1866:

This "single-breasted sack" (sic) comes from "Standard" Work on Cutting, New York, 1886:

There is also a pattern for a "sack for a corpulent figure" without a dart, and a "double-breasted sack" which does have one.

As with the term 'lounge coat', the idea was that 'sack coats' were a more loosely fitted and casual item of clothing, suitable as leisure wear at the beach and country resort. No self-respecting gentleman would have worn one into town. Being loosely fitted, it also was also easier to produce as an RTW garment. The rise of the sack/lounge also coincided with the rise of the RTW textile industry in the early 20th century. By comparison, body coats are really best made as a bespoke garment to get a proper fit.

Of further interest is the fact that overcoats such as Chesterfields, which were non-body coat types, were also call oversacks:

This above example also comes from the "Standard" Work on Cutting, 1886. Notice that this Chesterfield is darted, but lacks the waist seam that would have made it a frock overcoat.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Signed,
The Rookie
welcome! i wouldn't say i'm an expert at this, but i'll give it a shot. first off, i would like to say that the sack, to some isn't all that "fashion forward". so, if you're looking to learn more on fashion, head over to the fashion forum. but if you want to find out more about the classic american look, stick around the trad forum. the sack suit in some eyes just aren't "fashion forward", but to me a sack no matter the age(if the sack was made in the 1900s or made nowadays), in my eyes will always be the greatest. the sack is cut fuller than most suits made nowadays. i'll show you the difference between a sack and other suits. lets use a european suits as comparison.

jpress (sack)-

kiton(eu)-

first thing that you can clearly see in the kiton the suit, is the difference in the waist. the kiton has waist suppression, whereas the sack has no waist suppresion, thus creating a much fuller look. second, i would like to point out that a sack has no darts(the lines running along the waist, from breat pocket to flap pocket). i actually have a question myself, how do darts create waist suppression? anyway, back to what i was saying; and even more importantly a sack has little or light padding in the shoulders (it should show your natural shoulder structure/line). look how structured the kiton is in the shoulders, as opposed to the sack(i don't know if i picked the right picture to portray this). also, a sack has three buttons and it is rolled to two. look at the picture of the sack; the third(top) button has a roll in the lapels. some european suits/ fashion forward suits, or whatever you want to call it has 3/2 rolls, as well. and last but not least, a sack has a single/center vent. ok i'm done here. am i missing anything? and sorry, i have no input on the pant cuffs, because i still have much to learn myself, but i believe it should be 1 1/4", or up to your personal preference? anyway, i hope i helped you out at the slightest bit. any connesueirs, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong or if you have anything to add.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.