Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there run for office or been involved in politics? I have been asked to run for a position and am considering it. Would love to get some insight from folks ... I was also thinking that we should create an AAAC PAC or Haberdasher PAC.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm involved in politics, especially at the local level. I'm the chair of my town and county Democratic committees, and I've also served as a justice of the peace, an elected office here in Vermont, for the last several years (eight? twelve? I'm not quite sure).

You hear a lot of negative comments about politicians based not only on their views, but because of the very fact that they choose to become involved in public life and run for public office. I don't think this is justified. If you look at all the elected officials across the country, the great majority of them serve for little or no compensation, put in long hours, and work conscientiously for the good of their constituents. Our federal, state, and local governments couldn't function without them.

Consequently, if people are encouraging you to run for office, and if you think you have something to offer and the time to devote to it, I would encourage you to do it.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I'm involved in politics, especially at the local level. I'm the chair of my town and county Democratic committees, and I've also served as a justice of the peace, an elected office here in Vermont, for the last several years (eight? twelve? I'm not quite sure).

You hear a lot of negative comments about politicians based not only on their views, but because of the very fact that they choose to become involved in public life and run for public office. I don't think this is justified. If you look at all the elected officials across the country, the great majority of them serve for little or no compensation, put in long hours, and work conscientiously for the good of their constituents. Our federal, state, and local governments couldn't function without them.

Consequently, if people are encouraging you to run for office, and if you think you have something to offer and the time to devote to it, I would encourage you to do it.
Good post. I would add that we tend to choose the "successful" politicians and in a lot of ways get what we deserve.

You are right about the bulk of the people who serve with little or no compensation. (Only statewide jobs and higher tend to be full-time, other than in large cities.)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
So if I were in Sharon and spontaneously decided that I wanted to get married, I'd be looking for you?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Word to the wise, the most critical thing to have is a good campaign treasurer who is willing to keep records of campaign contributions and to file all the reports that will be required of you. Without that person, you will have no end of headaches and could face fines or even jail if you mess up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.