Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good suggestions for a rugged casual shoe or low boot?

These look kinda nice, but are a bit above what I'd like to pay. I'd prefer to keep the purchase in the under $200 range, if possible.

I'd like something comfortable that will look good with cords, ocbd/sweater and/or a tweed jacket but won't leave my feet entirely soaked in light to moderate rain or a couple inches of snow.

Where I live right now the winters are fairly mild so I don't need something like an all out winter boot. I do have a pair of mid-height Neos overshoes if we get a couple of bad rainy/snowy days.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If you live in the south, you have to own a pair. Redwings.

What are some good suggestions for a rugged casual shoe or low boot?

These look kinda nice, but are a bit above what I'd like to pay. I'd prefer to keep the purchase in the under $200 range, if possible.

I'd like something comfortable that will look good with cords, ocbd/sweater and/or a tweed jacket but won't leave my feet entirely soaked in light to moderate rain or a couple inches of snow.

Where I live right now the winters are fairly mild so I don't need something like an all out winter boot. I do have a pair of mid-height Neos overshoes if we get a couple of bad rainy/snowy days.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Have you looked at the Clarks Desert Boots? Also I saw a nice pair of Timberland Torrance(one style has laces and one is a chelsea style) chukkas at Shoe Carnival for $50. They aren't as nice, but they are waterproof in light of our upcomming snowy or wet season.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've considered Redwings. Don't know if I could pull off the cowboy style boots though! A few RW laceups are nice looking. The gentleman traveler boot is very nice - not sure how practical it is - but a bit out of my budget.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've considered Redwings. Don't know if I could pull off the cowboy style boots though! A few RW laceups are nice looking. The gentleman traveler boot is very nice - not sure how practical it is - but a bit out of my budget.
Where are you these days? As they say in the Redwing market, location, location, location.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about those in another thread as an alternative to blucher mocs. How's the construction, comfort and durability on those so far? I'm now thinking a pair of boots are the first priority, but these look nice too.

I use these for such purposes:

LL Bean Dress Rustic shoes:

They work well for causal situations and I don't mind them getting wet. I use 'em all fall and winter and early spring. $100.00

·
Registered
6,478 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Link doesn't work, but all the chukkas on the site are definitely above what I would prefer to pay. At any rate, I don't think chukkas would work well for me since I like a bit more laces to secure the instep on my shoes generally. Nice looking though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
These are ridiculously comfortable. I abused these things like you wouldn't believe and they're going strong after 5 years (including 2 years of daily wear, with several miles of walking, often in the rain).

I like the styling of these even better:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.