Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful pair of brown captoes that I got on sale for $40.00 and they fit like a glove,only one drawback:the soles and heel are rubber.So I took them to a local cobbler (whom I used for a pair of wingtips not too long ago),and he said he could not resole rubber soled shoes with leather.Is that true or do I just have a poor excuse for a cobbler?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
rubber soles are glued on. There is no welt to sew the new sole to. I'm sure a shoemaker, not a shoe repair person, could re-build the shoe to add a welt but it might be as costly as just buying a new, leather soled, shoe.

·
Registered
526 Posts
rubber soles are glued on. There is no welt to sew the new sole to. I'm sure a shoemaker, not a shoe repair person, could re-build the shoe to add a welt but it might be as costly as just buying a new, leather soled, shoe.
+1

By the time he goes through all the modifications, it will cost you more than buying the correct shoe in the first place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did it to a pair of Kenneth Cole monk straps that I got before I knew how crappy and disposable KC shoes are. I really liked the shoes so when the rubber sole wore out I found a cobbler who put a leather sole on. It ended up looking like a Frankenstein job so they were relegated to bad-weather duty.

Moral - not worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.