Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who's coming? Me and two other companions are planning to go and I'm already amassing my ensemble for the day.

Yesterday, my vintage silk topper came through the post:

This was after I gave it a good brushing as it was very dusty when it came out of the box.

Amazingly, it fits perfectly so I don't have to have it re-conformed! Plus, the condition is very good and there's very little wear to the silk plush. The sweatband is well worn but intact. Just need to brush it with a soft bristle hat briush and polish with a velvet pad.

Cost: a mere £31!

Also today thru the post, a soft hat brush and a velvet pad to polish the topper:

This is how it came out after polishing. Comapre to the previous pics above:

Last night, I also won my morning dress:

Will be wearing the morning coat from the set only. my current one is one size too big for me and this one has a nicer fabric so it will replace it.

I've already got my morning stripes from Pakeman and my umbrella. The buff DB waistcoat is on order from David Edward. The tunic shirt will be bought from E&R or Budd's in May when I am due to go to London. Need to get a pair of spats, either vintage or new from Ascot Top Hats. Already have a pair of plain Oxfords. Tie will be black and white shepherd's plaid or maybe plain silver. Need to decide on the pocket square. Already sourced a florist in my town that can do me a gardenia buttonhole (for £8, OMG).

:aportnoy::icon_smile_big:

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Excellent work! I wish I could find a vintage silk topper in my oh so rare size :(. Beautiful MC too! When you're there, you must take pictures.

So, who's coming? Me and two other companions are planning to go and I'm already amassing my ensemble for the day.

Yesterday, my vintage silk topper came through the post:

This was after I gave it a good brushing as it was very dusty when it came out of the box.

Amazingly, it fits perfectly so I don't have to have it re-conformed! Plus, the condition is very good and there's very little wear to the silk plush. The sweatband is well worn but intact. Just need to brush it with a soft bristle hat briush and polish with a velvet pad.

Cost: a mere £31!

Also today thru the post, a soft hat brush and a velvet pad to polish the topper:

This is how it came out after polishing. Comapre to the previous pics above:

Last night, I also won my morning dress:

Will be wearing the morning coat from the set only. my current one is one size too big for me and this one has a nicer fabric so it will replace it.

I've already got my morning stripes from Pakeman and my umbrella. The buff DB waistcoat is on order from David Edward. The tunic shirt will be bought from E&R or Budd's in May when I am due to go to London. Need to get a pair of spats, either vintage or new from Ascot Top Hats. Already have a pair of plain Oxfords. Tie will be black and white shepherd's plaid or maybe plain silver. Need to decide on the pocket square. Already sourced a florist in my town that can do me a gardenia buttonhole (for £8, OMG).

:aportnoy::icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
This look great!

I was under the impression that real top hats cost a lot more than what you paid.

How about a photo when you're all dressed up?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wil post photos in June after the event!

Well, refurbished toppers do cost a lot (£500+) via the hatters and hat makers. However, it is cheaper to buy a vintage one in relatively good condition and have it restored by Patey or Lock. It would not cost over £250 IMHO for a complete rebuild (not necessary if you found a good condition one like I did) so add that to the price you bought it, it is less than a new fur felt or refrubished one! As long as the sweatband is intact and the brim bindings etc are pristine, you don't need to fork out much to have it refurbished. You probably need to get them to re-conform it if it doesn't it your head well.

Also, just right now I had a breakthrough with my polishing! Just check out the progress I made.

After initial dusting off with hard bristle hat brush:

After brushing with soft bristle brush and polishing with velvet pad:

After dabbing water carefully on the nap and polishing with velvet pad:

I am amazed what a little bit of experimentation can do! Look at the vertical light reflection on the crown and see the difference in clarity and sharpness between the pictures!

Indeed, I am very pleased now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You're killing me. KILLING ME.

My country has no such dressy events. Also, you'll look great with that classic Chinese/Asian look. ... That hat makes me cry. You found some incredible deals.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
What a spectacular hat!

I'd just go a little easy on trying to spiff it up too much. Yes, it does look much more "refined" with the water "torture" treatment. But do you really want a fur felt, assuming that is what it is, to look like silk? That would, in my opinion, turn it from a day wear to an evening look. Besides, a few brushes with your grey suede gloves in doffing the topper for the ladies, and that slick finish will be beset with finger marks, which would be far less visible on the rougher surface just smoothed with the dry velvet:(

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'd just go a little easy on trying to spiff it up too much. Yes, it does look much more "refined" with the water "torture" treatment. But do you really want a fur felt, assuming that is what it is, to look like silk? That would, in my opinion, turn it from a day wear to an evening look. Besides, a few brushes with your grey suede gloves in doffing the topper for the ladies, and that slick finish will be beset with finger marks, which would be far less visible on the rougher surface just smoothed with the dry velvet:(
That's a silk topper.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Ah, yes

That's a silk topper.
Thank you. I didn't read that carefully. However, I still think that refining the finish overly much will prove impractical in the wearing. It looks fine to me with the less fussy look before the water application for a daytime occasion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think this is a silk topper. I was at Ascot last year, and most of the men wearing non-hired hats (easy to spot) had had them polished in the same way that Charlie has done. I believe it is the "done thing". I doubt if a fur felt would look like this if polished. You only need to touch the edge and the underside of the brim to doff, (on some vintage hats you can see the thumb mark there) so that won't mess up the polishing.

Adagio

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Wil post photos in June after the event!

Well, refurbished toppers do cost a lot (£500+) via the hatters and hat makers. However, it is cheaper to buy a vintage one in relatively good condition and have it restored by Patey or Lock. It would not cost over £250 IMHO for a complete rebuild (not necessary if you found a good condition one like I did) so add that to the price you bought it, it is less than a new fur felt or refrubished one! As long as the sweatband is intact and the brim bindings etc are pristine, you don't need to fork out much to have it refurbished. You probably need to get them to re-conform it if it doesn't it your head well.

Also, just right now I had a breakthrough with my polishing! Just check out the progress I made.

After initial dusting off with hard bristle hat brush:

After brushing with soft bristle brush and polishing with velvet pad:

After dabbing water carefully on the nap and polishing with velvet pad:

I am amazed what a little bit of experimentation can do! Look at the vertical light reflection on the crown and see the difference in clarity and sharpness between the pictures!

Indeed, I am very pleased now.
This looks marvelous!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is vintage silk plush. Fur felt has a slighty dark grey sheen to it. Silk would be jet black.

Yes but I like it to be very slick and as per adagio, will be touched very little except maybe the brim. The last owner must be left-handed as evident by the very faint finger marks on top of the brim. He must have looked after it very well as there is little wear to it.

Oh! The postman just delivered my morning dress! Pics up soon!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My morning dress has arrived. Here are the pics of me trying them on:

The cashmere stripes are too big for me at the waist, at least 2" too much. They are also very baggy. They are very high waisted as you can see (I had to adjust my braces shorter by 6"!) As I'm not going to wear them for Ascot, I'm going to alter them later in the year. I've got plenty of formal trousers already.

Waistcoat fits amazingly well. Very little wear to them. No alterations required. But, if I have some dosh rolling in one day, I might get the tailors to add the detachable white slip thingy onto it.

Fits well and in good condition. I love the cutaway line. A few spots of soiling here and there but can be fixed. The lapels seem too wide (maybe being stored improperly) to the point it was interfering with the buttoning and covering the breast pocket so I have corrected this with some ironing. Need to add a stem loop which I can do myself. Everything else is fine though I might get the tailors to add a 'cufflink button' when I have the time.

Also last night, I polished the topper more carefully and I think we shall leave it as it is now as it has reached its zenith! The line of light is almost crisp!

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Nice! I would go for a shirt with a pale blue body with white stripes and a stiff day collar, but all in all, well done! The waistcoat is absolutely lovely! Do please wear a pocket watch with it! For the poster who asked about stem loops, they hold the stem of the bouttoniere in place.

My morning dress has arrived. Here are the pics of me trying them on:

The cashmere stripes are too big for me at the waist, at least 2" too much. They are also very baggy. They are very high waisted as you can see (I had to adjust my braces shorter by 6"!) As I'm not going to wear them for Ascot, I'm going to alter them later in the year. I've got plenty of formal trousers already.

Waistcoat fits amazingly well. Very little wear to them. No alterations required. But, if I have some dosh rolling in one day, I might get the tailors to add the detachable white slip thingy onto it.

Fits well and in good condition. I love the cutaway line. A few spots of soiling here and there but can be fixed. The lapels seem too wide (maybe being stored improperly) to the point it was interfering with the buttoning and covering the breast pocket so I have corrected this with some ironing. Need to add a stem loop which I can do myself. Everything else is fine though I might get the tailors to add a 'cufflink button' when I have the time.

Also last night, I polished the topper more carefully and I think we shall leave it as it is now as it has reached its zenith! The line of light is almost crisp!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I know about what shirt is most suitable but I just grabbed whatever shirt there is (it is tunic with starched Arundel collar).

I will be going to London in May to get a proper formal shirt from Budd's. I have white tunic shirts but want one in light blue as you suggested.

Stem loop for the buttonhole. I've already sewn it on. Now need to wait for the other items I've ordered and try to eBay a silver pocket watch chain, etc.

I think I can wear the stripes without altering them but it feels too big still for me.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That looks like a very nicely assembled outfit.

Is that a small button on the right (your right) waistcoat lapel? What purpose does it serve?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ahhh hogspear...

Well done.
Capt Hogspear has separated me from too much money in the past (and no doubt in the future).
But best recent purchase are these ex household cavalry officers not too grubby deerskin gloves which arrived today.

Not bad for 2.75GBP and they fit perfectly.

Thinking of having them dyed a dove grey by someone capable in NYC.

Now i think correct gloves for Ascot are more a butter color. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.