Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Not far from my apt is the butcher shop that processed all of Ronald Reagan's beef. The wall is covered with photographs of the famous, not so famous and wannabees. Ron has several, some with his own quips.
One shows Ronnie on the ground being pummeled by several other cowboys in a forgotten B Western. Ron has levis stuffed into hitop boots from Nuetie's. His assailants have theirs under rolled cuff jeans.

Ron scribbled ' Around here mister, republicans stuff boots inside their pants! followed by ( I escaped in the next scene.)

It's an old cowboy style, long discontinued. riders would stuff spare horshoe nails, tobacco etc to help freee up the upper body from stuff while riding.

I think it looks to 'Brokeback Mountain' myself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used to think that rolled cuffs signify more of the working class look but that has started to change as a lot of good jeans companies now manufacture their jeans with long inseams for cuffing or stacking.

Rolled cuffs on selvage jeanshas become the equivalent of deliberately leaving the last button on your suit sleeves unbuttoned, just to give the impression that it's slightly more exclusive.

·
2,973 Posts
fashionable from time to time

Originally when jeans were work attire they came with long cuffs that were rolled up to whatever length suited the wearer. Kav's reference to old grade B westerns provides the correct era for that style. The current up-scale fashion of cuffed jeans seems anachronistic. Moreover, that jeans with cuffs are supposed to be dressy is at odds with their working class origins.

When I attended El Monte High School in the early 1960's it was fashionable to have a narrow cuff (around 1 1/4 inches, I think) rolled up on one's jeans. This was among middle class Anglos. Surfers wore their jeans without cuffs (and a couple of inches above the tops of their shoes). Chicanos generally avoided jeans as too casual. They wore ironed chinos, slightly baggy and with a break over the toe of their shoe.

At some point during my high school days non-cuffed jeans became popular. One folded the bottom of the cuff up inside the pants leg and either got your mother to hem it for you or secured it with a safety pin.

These days, I prefer Levi's without cuffs, and buy them sized accordingly.

In my view, jeans are too casual to wear with cuffs. But then, I am not fond of so-called designer jeans as these also seem to me to be too dressy for the kind of pants they are.

Regards,
Gurdon

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^As Gurdon suggests, my Levi's are sized to fit properly, without any rolled cuffs. Life shouldn't be a cheap parody of The Wild Bunch and not many of us can carry off the James Dean persona! ;)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
London 1968 - in imitation of Desmond Dekker and the other rude boys arriving from Jamaica, the orignal skinheads neatly turned their jeans up in two half inch turns. No more, no less. And at ska and reggae gigs I still sport that original style.

Original skinheads early 70s in London

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have one pair of jeans with too-long of an inseam. I roll the cuffs on those. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's something practical to do on a piece of clothing designed to be practical.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have one pair of jeans with too-long of an inseam. I roll the cuffs on those. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's something practical to do on a piece of clothing designed to be practical.
Not a fan of the rolled-cuffs look....not a fan of a bad hem job on jeans either, though....a good tailor should be able to hem them and keep the original hem, no?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have rolled longer jeans in the summer when they would otherwise get trapped in flip flops or under bare heels.

These days I think it's done more to show off the selvedge visible on the inside of the pant. It can look ok in a variety of circumstances, but there are certainly no rules.

If I were you, I'd try rolling, look in the mirror and go with your instinct about how it looks.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Tearing factory hems off comes from the timber industry. 'Shagging'- no not the later meaning your WORKPANTS was a safety feature. If you got a fallen branch up the hem it would simply tear the denim and not give you a nasty and dangerous fall.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I rolled my jeans up back in the 50's, but haven't done it since. I guess if you are a young slender guy wearing the tight, skinny jeans it looks OK (assuming of course you think tight, skinny jeans look OK to begin with), otherwise I don't particularly care for it.

Cruiser

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I don't really like it, but I'm not a big jeans connoisseur anyway. (I wear them a lot on casual Friday and on the weekend, but to me, if I'm wearing jeans, it does not matter a lot what I look like. If I'm going to some kind of casual occasion, I make sure I'm wearing a decent shirt with them, but as long as the jeans fit at least reasonably well and aren't worn, I don't notice much about them beyond that.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.