Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday in Sydney I picked up a lavender patterned silk tie at a sale $50 oz down from $135, nice score I thought. Nicely made, decent weight perfect for that job interview on Monday.

When I got it home I discovered it was hand made in the USA I have never come across the name before does anyone know about the manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yes, Robert Talbott makes very nice shirts and ties, does it happen to say "best of class" on it by any chance? They are from California but have a dedicated store in NYC, they mostly provide items to high-end retailers throughout the US. They also sell items out of Henry Bucks in Melbourne (according to their website anyway). I think a search of AAAC should pull up a number of references to them. I really like their ties, I think I have two of them and maybe two of their shirts, all very nice. I dont think they are the absolute last word in quality etc. but they are a very solid higher end brand.

They also make nice formalwear related items. If you go to their website it doesnt show much so take a look here because this store has a ton of their stuff on display:

https://hansensclothing.com/default.asp

·
Registered
188 Posts
Last Friday in Sydney I picked up a lavender patterned silk tie at a sale $50 oz down from $135, nice score I thought. Nicely made, decent weight perfect for that job interview on Monday.

When I got it home I discovered it was hand made in the USA I have never come across the name before does anyone know about the manufacturer?
They are very nice ties a little search will give you a lot of information about them.

·
Registered
331 Posts

They're a relatively small, US-based maker that specializes in ties, but they also produce shirts and other goods. The ties are very nice and are certainly respectable. I own about two or three.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Robert Talbott BOC (Best of Class) retails for ....

$105 - $125. These always have a thin label which identifies BOC and is used as a tie keeper. Robert Talbott Estate ties retail for about $150 and have a keeper made from the tie fabric. Many people complain about the relatively insecure label being used on a tie which retails for over $100. They (the ties) are noted for their woven designs in pailsley and geometric patterns. They are nice ties, but they are easily available on sale for around $50. I have about a dozen of them and the most I have ever paid is around $57.

RT also makes seven fold ties which are pricey and harder to get on sale.

They also make a variety of formal ties, cummerbunds, and vests. They make a silk faille tie and cummerbund to match grosgrain facings on your tuxedo.

Their dress shirts aren't of much interest to this forum because they are super big and probably only fit the stout. You can see their entire product line on their web site. For discount prices, you can check Direct Clothiers (CA) and Maus and Hoffman (FL). Some have found good pricing at Filene's and Nordstrom Rack, but I can't stand looking through a hundred ties to find a bargain.

Woven ties equivalent to Robert Talbott when on sale include Duchamp of London which you can get for 1/2 price at end of season.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Yep Robert Talbott is pretty solid as people said. The $135 original price means it is almost certainly a Best of Class.

I certainly wouldn't pay $135 for a tie that isn't self-tipped and doesn't have a fabric keeper, but I have purchased several (all under $20), and they do make beautiful knots and hold up well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My favorite ties!! Especially the "Best in Class". Nordstroms Rack used to sell them at prices $25.00-$50.00, but Im not sure that they still do.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
The Nordie's Rack at Potomac Mills had a whole big table of RT BofC ties rolled in their own individual gift boxes when I was there last month. The table was stacked two or three deep with these boxes. Price was $24.99 per tie. The patterns were mostly a little busy to my eye, but not awful, and you could do a lot worse for that price.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I happen to be wearing a Talbott BOC tie at this very moment. It had been specifically made for Carroll & Co., and I acquired it during a sale there.

I have several other Talbott ties and squares--good stuff from a respected maker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My favorite ties!! Especially the "Best in Class". Nordstroms Rack used to sell them at prices $25.00-$50.00, but Im not sure that they still do.
Nordstrom Rack still has them. Here in San Diego I stop by about twice a month and usually find something nice. On the same note, they make some rather decent socks which sell there for between $7.00 - 10.00 a pair.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Any Quality Alternative US Tie Makers?

Yes, I have had a lot of Talbott ties over the years, and many of their shirts. The flagship store on Madison used to be a bit of a Saturday morning hangout for me, when the lovely Nora used to work there, but that's another story....I was wondering are there other US-based tie makers who compete successfully with Talbott's for quality and style?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it appears that I got a bargin and it is Best of Class from what I have read here.

Will keep my eyes open for them in the future. Thanks for ths comments.:icon_smile_big:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.