Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to confess my eyes were too much on Laura to really notice whether RP wore a 3R2 or whatever. And my image search failed to produce definitive evidence. But I sort of remember - looking at the pictures kindly provided by Trip English, AldenPyle et al. - him as the kind of guy to dress like Eero Saarinen and LMVDR. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
449 Posts
My first suit was by Botany 500 - it was a mint-green three-piece. It was also the mid seventies and I was six years old. :)

Were these considered quality back then? I think Richard Dawson's suits on Family Feud came from them too.
H. Daroff and Sons of Philadelphia bought the Botany 500 brand and fabric mill/distributership in the late fifties or early sixties. H. Daroff was a
decent medium quality clothing manufacturing company and rather
brilliant marketers. They "provided" the clothing for several TV shows
including Danny Thomas and Dick Van ****. If the jacket says
Botany 500 - Tailored by Daroff, it's decent quality. After H Daroff
died his sons later let the company go bankrupt. The Botany 500
brand name (without the Daroff) was later sold to a low end
company.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
two memories

As a kid, my parents took me to clothing stores that were not at the high end. However, there were occasions when a Botany 500 item would trickle its way in. I remember excellent sport coats and trousers, indeed. I would add that my wife, as a Long Islander, could pick out Dick Van ****'s house in Brookville. A huge brick ranch, as I recall. Very trad.
Bill

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
H. Daroff and Sons of Philadelphia bought the Botany 500 brand and fabric mill/distributership in the late fifties or early sixties. H. Daroff was a
decent medium quality clothing manufacturing company and rather
brilliant marketers. They "provided" the clothing for several TV shows
including Danny Thomas and Dick Van ****. If the jacket says
Botany 500 - Tailored by Daroff, it's decent quality. After H Daroff
died his sons later let the company go bankrupt. The Botany 500
brand name (without the Daroff) was later sold to a low end
company.
When my mother was going to Temple University, I remember we would go home up Broad Street, making a left onto Lehigh. At the corner were several big clothing manufacturers (there were signs unofficially calling the area "Garment Square"), and a huge Botany 500 sign.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
When my mother was going to Temple University, I remember we would go home up Broad Street, making a left onto Lehigh. At the corner were several big clothing manufacturers (there were signs unofficially calling the area "Garment Square"), and a huge Botany 500 sign.
You would need to run quickly if you took that trip today! I spent many happy afternoons at Connie Mack Stadium.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thumbs up also go to Donald on That Girl.
Hollinger? Really?

If I recall correctly, he wore turtlenecks, and on what might have been his first time meeting Marlo Thomas's father her learned that the father was in the necktie business. Hollinger comments, "I used to wear ties," and the father replies that everyone used to.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I probably haven't seen that episode since 1966, or whenever it first aired.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.