Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my RL ties yesterday, and I have a couple of questions. One is a "Bleeker" model, and has very little lining, and is sewn along the tip. Also, there is no loop, and it's really short, 55 1/2". The other tie is well made, but also short, 56". They are seemingly too short for me, even if I tie a FIH knot. the small endonly comes about halfway down the wide end.
My question is this...Should I send them back, or wear them a little short? I like my ties to come to my belt, but these will be an inch or two short. The retro look is one thing, but looking like a dork is not good.:eek:
Any Opinions?

Thanks, Mark S.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Recently, I ordered some monkstraps from Grapevinehill. These were probably floor samples or a return, since the vamp was slightly creased. I thought about returning them since they weren't IMO textbook-definition new but rationalized I would put that same crease in them within an hour. So I kept them on that account (everything else satisfactory).

Your ties, OTOH, will always be short. I think you will probably not end up wearing them if you keep them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Got my RL ties yesterday, and I have a couple of questions. One is a "Bleeker" model, and has very little lining, and is sewn along the tip. Also, there is no loop, and it's really short, 55 1/2". The other tie is well made, but also short, 56". They are seemingly too short for me, even if I tie a FIH knot. the small endonly comes about halfway down the wide end.
My question is this...Should I send them back, or wear them a little short? I like my ties to come to my belt, but these will be an inch or two short. The retro look is one thing, but looking like a dork is not good.:eek:
Any Opinions?

Thanks, Mark S.
If you want a skinnier look this isn't a bad tie. I have a similar length problem w/some vintage Rooster wool ties. The short end is very short. Or tuck the tie in between your shirt buttons as can be seen in old movies. Or send them back because you'll probably never be happy w/them.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Huh. I have probably 25 or so ties from RL and even a few from Rugby (many of which are unlined like the one you described), but none are too short or anything other than what I assume is standard length. The only time this happened to me is when I accidentally bought a little boy's tie at a BB outlet. Any chance these are young mens' ties?

That being said, I vote send them back.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you get stuck with them for some reason you could just wear them under a suit or sportcoat and make sure to never unbutton your jacket.
I disagree! I've always regretted this route. I remember a Turnbull & Asser shirt I kept around despite having a nasty gash in the back because it was such a nice pattern. I figured I'd wear it under a sweater, but every time I geared up to do so I got worried that I might be locked into wearing the sweater all day and have no option to remove it. It's like wearing clean underwear in case you're hit by a bus or something!

I've been much happier having a wardrobe of multi-taskers if you will. Everything fits. Everything is in one piece. No special rules. Send them back or eBay them. Or donate them. RL should be a pretty nice write-off!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Good decision, in my book! A tie, tied two to three inches short, comes off looking a bit too "country" for my taste, even if...and as the late John Denver said, "thank God I'm a country boy!" ;)

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
My personal experience is that most modern ties are too long, actually. I chalk this up to low trousers, big guts and Windsor knots (a bad trifecta). Of course, some people are just too tall to accomodate the shorter length. If those don't work for you then you should certainly send them back. Rugby ties I have had run short in a 'retro' way, too.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I too have noticed this unlined trend at a recent trip to the PRL retail store.
not sure how i feel about it
some nice tweeds, but unlined...

side note: wasn't the bleeker a full clothing line they came out with last year also?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mannix- I'm 6'2", with a 17-1/2 neck. I do have quite a few XL ties, but I was hoping the RL ties would work:(
Allen- I kind of was wondering if they were short in a "retro" sort of way, especially the Bleeker. I'm afraid that they would just look silly on me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mannix- I'm 6'2", with a 17-1/2 neck. I do have quite a few XL ties, but I was hoping the RL ties would work:(
Allen- I kind of was wondering if they were short in a "retro" sort of way, especially the Bleeker. I'm afraid that they would just look silly on me.
That is definitely a combination that requires a long tie. At 5'8 and a 17.5 neck 56 inch ties fit me just right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered two Lauren ties from the website. Both were described as having a full lining, which the description, ironically, called the "mark of fine neckwear" or some such thing. One turned out to be unlined (and short). It went right back. Incidentally, they tried to avoid reimbursing me for the postage, too, until I got a supervisor to admit that the only reason the tie (which was otherwise very handsome) was returned was that they, themselves, misrepresented it in the first place.

I'm disappointed that they have monkeyed around with the style of their ties. Ordinarily I like their ties a lot! As to the service, it, too, has always been excellent, but they probably have trouble hiring good people just like everyone else does. I am inclined to attribute the pettiness of the returns dep't more to bureaucracy than any fundamental change in their otherwise perfectly satisfactory customer service.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I also got a Bleeker that I was suprised to see was unlined. the length wasn't an issue, so I kept it, and wore it. Its a little different, which I don't mind.

RR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.