Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a subjective question, but in terms of quality and price, I was wondering if you readers think I made a good choice.

I purchased a Z Zegna suit earlier today at Saks for $1095 and was very happy with the look/cut/fit. This was full price, however, and I felt like I could have gotten a much better deal for the same amount of money.

I returned the suit and placed an order for the last Canali suit in my size that Saks had (it was in NY) for $500. I didn't get to try on that size in Canali, as there was only 1 left in the country, but it's the same size I always wear, and the same size as the Z Zegna suit. Of course, if it doesn't fit, I can always take it back.

But after reading here about the overall quality of suits I felt like Canali was the better choice over Zegna, and I can always get it tailored well.

So, again, I realize it's a subjective question, but do you think I made the right choice?

·
Registered
769 Posts
The Canali is likely going to be cut more fully than the Z-Zegna, which is a slim cut, intended for a younger audience. That said, the Canali is a higher quality suit. If it looks good on you, then at 1/2 the price, it's a much better deal.

Of course, if it doesn't, then the price doesn't matter, but then you can still get that Z.:icon_smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I for one, have had a similar dilemma especially when purchasing big ticket items like suits(did I really need that, does the colour suit me etc.).

However, I have learnt that only time will tell whether that article of clothing becomes "worth it", when you start wearing it almost frequently and refuse to throw it out no matter what other additions may appear in your wardrobe.

May I suggest that the next time you intend a suit purchase, why not invest in a quality bespoke one, where you can truly specify what you desire in terms of
cut, colour and the other myriad options that will be available to you.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes, you made the right choicd ....

that was too much money for the Zegna, just as $998 is too much for a BB Regent. When the Regent comes down to $500 is when I buy. If the Canali doesn't fit well, return it and just keep watching the sales. Once you know what fits in a particular brand, you can order off the internet and have a local tailor do the alterations. Unless you have a peculiar body shape, rtw can be found that will fit well. Don't think mtm or bespoke until you have exhausted rtw due to your body dimensions. My clothes fit better than most, and I haven't bought mtm for years.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Quality that lasts > "younger" cut in my opinion. As long as it fits right in the necessary areas like shoulder, rise, armholes, etc. of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.