Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this article in an old GQ this morning. 1990 that is.
Thought it might be of some interest. Got a bit large on the pics,but some are quite nice. That pink suit, btw is seersucker.

https://g.imageshack.us/img257/scan0001ng0.jpg/1/

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Great article! I see Mr. Merkin uses the same necktie storage "system" that I do! ;)

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
Natty, but after a drink or two I bet he'd be hitting on your wife, or you I suppose. But he doesn't look gay. Who knows? I can't read the article because of my monitor size, but if the backdrop is his place it looks like mine.

* those sentences read like Joe Morgan's.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've got a folder full of Merkin's articles and another full of Owen Edwards'. Both were good writers who could interest the reader without being pedantic. As I'm purging my "archives" if anyone wants these PM me and I'll try to get them to you.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I too recall this article. By the time Merkin began being featured in GQ, I had been growing increasingly disappointed in GQ's editorial attempts to restore GQ from what it had become in the '70's and early '80's. Richard Merkin was the last item of interest for me in that publication, and shortly after his column ceased publication, I happily abandoned it permanently.

While I might not wish to copy Mr. Merkin's style exactly, he is a brilliant dandy. His sense of color and of combining them is brilliant. And his understanding of form and of balancing and complementing items in his ensemble is superb.

Thanks for the photos, they're very enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is said again and again, but I wish GQ and Esquire still did pieces like this. I have several layouts and articles from the early 90's and before that I still enjoy looking back on for reference. It seems sometime in the early 90's perhaps things really went downhill.

There was a large layout in the same issue depicting a young Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway in Paris. Great pics and really wide range of labels used for the shoot. Not just the ones that were advertising in the mag.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I've got a folder full of Merkin's articles and another full of Owen Edwards'. Both were good writers who could interest the reader without being pedantic. As I'm purging my "archives" if anyone wants these PM me and I'll try to get them to you.
These two writers alone kept me reading GQ; where, oh where, are their modern counterparts?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am glad that someone brought up Merkin again. I always enjoyed his witty pieces and saved has many as I could. I know he is considered a bit of dandy but he understands TNSIL as well as anyone. In the March 1988 issue of GQ he talks about his sartorial awakening. He describes a young man he sees near the old Paul Stuart Shop. " I saw an old MG pull up to the curb, and from this chariot emerged a young toff, elegant and unimpeachable. He was dressed in a tan Harris Tweed sport coat with considerable patina, a pink buttondown shirt...a snazzy challis tie, well-worn khakis and a pair of battered blue tennis shoes, Paleolithic in origin. And no socks to be sure. I had never in my life seen anyone quite so gorgeous, and, hindsight being what it is, I doubt that I ever will again. Epiphanies come and epiphanies go, but this one was a doozy. The scales fell from my eyes, and, like the late Satchel Paige, I have never looked back."

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I'm disappointed that I just missed the David Chu visit to DC, as I would really like to get some shirts with those excellent club collars.

As for the rest of his look, I respect what he's doing even if it's not quite my cup of tea, leaning as it does a bit too hard toward rarefied and highly self-conscious dandification for my taste. But then again, he's a creative type.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
His closets and I think his prose could use a healthy dose of "trad minimalism".
The trad-minimalist train left the station quite a long while ago in this case, I'm afraid.

Besides, in the New York art world, didn't Andy Warhol kinda stake out that territory early on, anyway? Supposedly he was a big customer of The Brethren Known as Brooks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.