Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be able to see a repair that a good reweaver has done? I recently had a pair of pants rewoven, and they don't look so great. I had a spot that had a few fairly decent snags, so I got them fixed, but I can see the squares where the patches are pretty clearly. They are right above the knee on the front, so they are front and center. I almost wish I had my snags back! :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
What you see has always been my experience. My rule of thumb is to reweave small tears if they occur in less conspicuous places such as the seat or hip.

Chalk this up to a learning experience. Sometimes it is really hard to give up a favorite suit or pair of trousers, but now you know when to make that decision.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bad part is that it is a very expensive suit that fit me better than any other one I own, including my MTM and bespoke suits. I can still wear the jacket, but saying goodbye to the pants is gonna hurt. Services will be held next Tuesday at 6. lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've had several pairs of trousers rewoven for rips in the front thigh area ranging from 1" to 3". Different colors & patterns all TOTALLY invisible from the outside.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I think it all depends on the fabric. I had a reweave done on a hard finish worsted and it was just about as noticeable as the original hole, although the reweave insured that it wouldn't get any bigger. I still didn't keep it. I had another reweave done on a textured tweed cloth and it was hard to tell that the tear was ever there. The same reweaver did both jobs.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You might only see the patches because you know where to look.

I had some reweaving done on a sportcoat - out of my entire closet the moths only got to a Zegna that was $1700 marked down to $300 at Neiman-Marcus, then another $100 for alterations. So the expense of getting it repaired didn't bother me.

But there's a patch the size of a quarter on one shoulder, right at the seam. I keep it in the rotation, but I'm conscious of the repairs and hope no one else notices.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
You might only see the patches because you know where to look.
That's a good point. It's kind of like hanging wall paper. If you do it in your house you know exactly where every flaw and mistake is located and you see them as soon as you enter the room. Fortunately it is unlikely that guests in your home will ever notice them. This is why I stopped hanging my own wall paper. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
399 Posts
BigCarrot
You notice the flaws because you know they're there.

I have a hand made suit and I know that the pocket flaps are a slightly different shape to one another, the spacing of the sleeve buttons is slightly uneven, and the stripes on the lapels are slightly out. I'd lay odds that nobody has ever noticed those flaws, but everyone notices it's a well cut suit, with a nice fit, in a good cloth. Show the suit to some one that's going to honest with you and tell them something is wrong with it, see if they spot the reweaving or not, perhaps they won't. If they do atleast you know where you stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.