Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I refuse to participate in Black Friday, and usually don't get caught up in holiday shopping at all,I was wondering if Cyber Monday is expected to be the best chance for bargain prices or are they expected to fall more between now and mid January.
I am mainly looking at TVs/monitors and computer gear but any input is appreciated...especially if you ar a retail insider.
Any advice?

· Registered
3,297 Posts
If you are a Costco member, we received a coupon book in the mail last week with some great deals on LCD/HD TV's.

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Are you near a Circuit City? They are closing 150 or so stores, so I'm guessing they might have some big markdowns. pt4u67 is right about Costco, they have some good prices on electronics right now. I avoid Black Friday as well though my wife likes to go shopping that day with her friends. Try shopping on a weekday evening, like a Tuesday. The lines won't be as long.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I don't belong to Costco. With the membership fee it would push the price up by fifty dollars. I will look around to see what they have though, thanks.
Circuit City is a really good idea. I had heard they were having problems but did not realize they were still open. They are. I will see about stopping by there next week.

· Registered
35 Posts
Circuit city would be a great place to look right about now. They have three locations close to where I live, two of them are closing in the near future, all of them have great deals for the holidays.

Even if you don't stop by their store, they will probably have online sales as well so you can check out what kind of sales and prices they have without actually leaving the house. Not the way to buy a new TV by any means, but it will still give an idea of whether or not you wish to waste your time visiting a store.

· Registered
278 Posts
Unfortunately I don't belong to Costco. With the membership fee it would push the price up by fifty dollars. I will look around to see what they have though, thanks.
Circuit City is a really good idea. I had heard they were having problems but did not realize they were still open. They are. I will see about stopping by there next week.
But all appliances and electronics sold at Costco come with a free 3 year extended warranty. Plus, once you have the Costco membership you will use it on other things. There is more for you life at Costco - you have been missing out on it!

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"There is more for you life at Costco - you have been missing out on it!"

I take it you work for the company. Unfortunately I am rarely a consumer. Any major purchases are due to need instead of desire. Thus my current need is one of those situations where I am forced to go to the retail stores. It is just misfortune that requires me to do it during the holiday season.
Thus I expect to be missing out on this facet of life whenever possible.

· Registered
278 Posts
"There is more for you life at Costco - you have been missing out on it!"

I take it you work for the company. Unfortunately I am rarely a consumer. Any major purchases are due to need instead of desire. Thus my current need is one of those situations where I am forced to go to the retail stores. It is just misfortune that requires me to do it during the holiday season.
Thus I expect to be missing out on this facet of life whenever possible.
HA! No, I am a student. I just love Costco. Their prices are great and their coupons are unbeatable. What makes you think you can only make "major purchases" at Costco? Do you buy water, soda, snacks, meats, produce, tires, electronics, blenders, soap, trash bags, vacations, garage doors, movie tickets, DVDs, etc.? Well they sell at of that at Costco and at reduced prices. You can look around Costco for free. You should check it out - I don't think you know what you are missing!

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
HA! No, I am a student. I just love Costco. Their prices are great and their coupons are unbeatable. What makes you think you can only make "major purchases" at Costco? Do you buy water, soda, snacks, meats, produce, tires, electronics, blenders, soap, trash bags, vacations, garage doors, movie tickets, DVDs, etc.? Well they sell at of that at Costco and at reduced prices. You can look around Costco for free. You should check it out - I don't think you know what you are missing!
And wine, don't forget the wine. :icon_smile_wink:

https://www.costco.com/

· Registered
278 Posts
And wine, don't forget the wine. :icon_smile_wink:

https://www.costco.com/
Not in PA!!! Here you can only get booze at state-run liquor stores and you can only buy beer by the case at distributors. But Costco is still worth the $50/year. Their prices and selection cannot be beat. I was there last night and got a 36 pack of Mt. Dew for $9.00 - $3.00 coupon! I think I am going to get a take-and-bake pizza for tonight for $9.50 -$3.00 coupon and I might treat my wife to a $1.50 fat-free frozen yogurt swirl. Man am I a catch!

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I like the idea of Costco, but the nearest one to me is about 45 miles away, one way, so to the membership fee I'd have to add the cost of travel. Hard to justify unless we're making a specific large purchase (computer, glasses, snow tires) to defray the cost.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"I don't think you know what you are missing"

If it is anything like Sam's Club or the host of other warehouse stores i have been to in the past I do know what I am missing...and i am not missing them at all.
They are fine if you plan to buy large quantities and do it seldom but I prefer to buy fresh and often. At one point in time it was fine but I might go in one once a year now assuming i actually shelled out money for a membership.
I did check on line and they have good prices on several items but are not discounted enough to defray the up front cost.
Strangely, or maybe not so strange, Amazon is very competitive with them on big ticket items when free shipping is included.

· Registered
114 Posts
Last December I got a great deal on a TV the weekend before Christmas. Felt it was better than I saw on black Friday. I bet we'll see similar circumstances this year with good sales between now and Christmas. Just gotta keep your eyes open. I don't know about buying a big ticket item from a Circuit City that's about to shut down. Double check the return policy in case of a problem. And make sure the liquidation company didn't markup the price before applying the discount.

Sam's and Costco membership prices - I use the Sam's club gas station and I'd bet that the savings there throughout the year makes up for the membership price..

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ah, now we are getting to the heart of the matter. The discount pattern leading into Christmas. It used to be that the deep discounts were between Christmas and New Years Day to dump the excess stock but it may be shifting to pre-Christmas sales to get people while they are still in a buying mood.
Last night I found there is a new series of TVs coming out with 3D effects. I don't really know why I need 3D or why they are not being advertised right now but it is the 120 hz refresh rate that draws my eye. I can get one to use as a combo TV computer monitor that would be nearly as good as my faithful old CRTs. I really have to wonder why they are not being pushed hard right now. It really screws up my shopping schedule. On the other hand maybe waiting until they become mainstream would push down prices on current stock even further.
See, this is why I hate retail shopping.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Not in PA!!! Here you can only get booze at state-run liquor stores and you can only buy beer by the case at distributors. But Costco is still worth the $50/year. Their prices and selection cannot be beat. I was there last night and got a 36 pack of Mt. Dew for $9.00 - $3.00 coupon! I think I am going to get a take-and-bake pizza for tonight for $9.50 -$3.00 coupon and I might treat my wife to a $1.50 fat-free frozen yogurt swirl. Man am I a catch!
I am surprised, that the testimonials to Costco have made no mention of the Executive Memberships. My wife and I have gone that route and after factoring in the rebates associated with the upgraded membership, we receive rebate checks totalling more than the $100 cost of the executive membership fee. In a round about way, they are paying us to shop there. :)

· Registered
35 Posts
Well being paid to shop at such a convenient place would be nice. I have never seemed to be able to spend enough there for the rebates to cancel out the membership fee, but I guess it works out nicely if you do. The main problem is I live a good ways from the nearest Costco and its just too much trouble to make the trip very often.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.