Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an old pair of cordovan tassel loafer (no idea on the maker).
I'm familiar with the aaac/mac method for maintaining cordovan shoes, but am unsure as how to go about restoring the luster to older, dulled cordovan shoes.
If they were calf leather I'd take the kiwi to them, but I'm hesitant to do so with these, is there anything I need to know? They're very dull, but no big nicks or scratches.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd first determine if the dullness is from an excess of polish built up, or whether it's raw shell cordovan that has not been cared for in a while.

Try to brush them and buff with a soft cotton rag. If that doesn't bring up much shine, I'd use a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel ot kleenex. If colored polish comes of, I'd continue to remove it in this way. Let the leather dry, which it will do quickly. Then I'd apply a very small amount of neutral Kiwi and immediately wip it off. Brush and buff.

· Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've been doing more web searching about this. Seems there's a thousand different, conflicting opinions on the care of cordovan.

Right not I'm just buffing the old polish off with a cotton rag (I hope I'm not buffing it in).
In a few places the leather is very dry (there are even a couple tiny cracks) what can I use to moisturize it?
There are lots of tiny dulling scratches and scuffs, can these be buffed out of should I use some sort of paste/polish on them?

I'll take some pictures, though I did find some similar looking shoes on ebay:
https://www.auctiva.com/hostedimage...55,166077665,166077675&formats=0,0,0&format=0
https://www.auctiva.com/hostedimage...images=94237780,94237849&formats=0,0&format=0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.