Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank everyone in this forum for my education as a gentleman. My etiquette and wardrobe are considerable benefactors from my time spent here.

Now the question:
My family regularly vacations in small beach communities. The attire in these areas consists simply of T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Unless I'm at the beach, I generally choose to wear a Tommy Bahama silk shirt and pants. What I'm looking for is an appropriate footwear pairing. I was thinking of AE Messina venetian loafers.

Maybe with some invisible socks?

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wouldn't wear them. In general, whatever you think of AE's dress shoes, I think they make some pretty awful casual shoes.

Oh, and as far as the invisible socks go, I tried some, but I kept losing them.
This happens to me too. The socks tend to end up bunch in the front of my shoes.

To the OP: Is there any reason you don't want to just go sockless?

The picture won't load for me, but venetian mocs seem like a good choice to me. I have a pair of Cole Haan venetians that I wear sockless in the summer.

Some people have discussed espadrilles before as good resort wear.

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of Tom's: https://www.tomsshoes.com/
I think they'd make good summer casual shoes

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I would like to thank everyone in this forum for my education as a gentleman. My etiquette and wardrobe are considerable benefactors from my time spent here.

Now the question:
My family regularly vacations in small beach communities. The attire in these areas consists simply of T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Unless I'm at the beach, I generally choose to wear a Tommy Bahama silk shirt and pants. What I'm looking for is an appropriate footwear pairing. I was thinking of AE Messina venetian loafers.

Maybe with some invisible socks?

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Boat shoes can be good for this.

And the shoes to which you linked look very nice.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Boat shoes work well. Both the leather Top Sider style and the canvas slip on of tied type in white, navy or natural. Closed toed Huarache sandals. Leave the flip-flops for the beach or shower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the responses but I guess I was looking to have the ensemble taken up a notch with the shoes - no open toes. Possibly spectator shoes? I know I saw a picture of someone's on here from BB Peal & Co that were Brown and canvas with a monk strap. Do you think that would fly?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Fly?

Well, this being a super-casual resort environment we're talking about here, it seems to me that your comfort should be the paramount consideration. What do you feel comfortable in? What do you not mind getting sand in there with your feet?

First the Venetians: They look very nice, but that's their problem too. They're dress shoes, by design. They're intended for summer street wear when you are not wearing a suit. In my opinion, they are way too formal for beach resort wear, sockless or not. Besides, do you really want to spend that much for a shoe to "kick around" in at a beach resort? Unless you are going to some ritzy places for tea dances or dinner, where they'd be fine, but not for loafing around a beach resort.

Sandals bother me, because the Cole Haans I have catch my little toenail, so I don't wear them very often. I can therefor understand your "no open toed" stance. However, huaraches come in closed-toe versions, are inexpensive, and relatively comfortable. They're pretty unstructured, though, but are better, in my view, than espadrilles. Travelsmith has a closed-toe version for men:

https://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1505&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=huarache

Alternatively, Stacy Adams makes something called a "Tonga" that is fairly dressy, with a sharp buckle strap, but cheap enough to toss after a season or two of sandy scuffing, without openings in the toe but allowing for air and sand to get in and out:

As for boat shoes, I've "given up" on Topsiders. They don't have enough support for my fairly high-arched feet. I prefer Rockports, which seem better made, have a comfort cushion welt around the sides and heel, good walking soles, and look nicer to me:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I like Venetians. They're simple - no hardware, tassels, fancy stitching, just a plain ol' moccasin. I have a pair of Ferragamos that I wear most of the summer (sockless). They have a surface finish that wears off easily, so they're dull, dusty, beat up looking and as comfortable as slippers. I wear them with linen pants, cotton draw strings, etc. About twice a summer, I decide they're getting a little too disreputable and take a shoe brush to them that's been passed lightly over a tin of neutral polish, which makes them look a little less dusty.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Look at what's available on the Maus and Hoffman web site ....

or request their catalog. All their stores are located in southern Florida and they generally have some nice resort shoes and other resort wear. Their shirts will beat Tommy Bahama in every way. When yoy wear a T. Bahama, everone knows it, and they all pretty much look the same: awful.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I wouldn't wear them. In general, whatever you think of AE's dress shoes, I think they make some pretty awful casual shoes.

Oh, and as far as the invisible socks go, I tried some, but I kept losing them.
That is an understandable problem. I used to be a spy, but gave it up because I never could tell when I ran out of invisible ink.

Jim { Running and Ducking }

·
Registered
581 Posts
Gucci bit loafers!

Whenever I see well-dressed men at a beach resort, it's almost always in bit loafers.

That being said, I lump bit loafers in with expensive watches and a few other things as "stuff I feel like I need to earn before I can wear." At 23 and still in law school, I'd feel a little ridiculous showing up in them now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.