Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've got a pair of brown AE bluchers that I really wear just with casual clothes, jeans even. It is almost time to resole them and I am thinking that a somewhat thicker sole and building up the heel with a few more layers of leather would make the shoes look a little more appropriate for the way I wear them. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this a crazy idea? How should I practically communicate what I've said above to a shoe repairman? What would be a reasonable price in NYC? (The shoes are otherwise in fine condition)
Thanks for any tips
Ben

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I believe this can all be done with the AE recrafting process.

Link here:

I know they can change from a rubber sole to leather and believe they can do the double. (I had them changes rubbers soles and they are perfect--could not be happier.)

Great price now as well.

P.S. if you do a search I believe you will find a prior thread on this.

G

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I know it is possible, and I'd like to have it done at a local cobbler. So I suppose the gist of my question is more how I should explain what I want to the shoe repair guy. That is, I feel like people on this board know what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure that between my lack of more formal shoe repair terms and varying communication skills in this large city that I will get what I want.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hi,
I've got a pair of brown AE bluchers that I really wear just with casual clothes, jeans even. It is almost time to resole them and I am thinking that a somewhat thicker sole and building up the heel with a few more layers of leather would make the shoes look a little more appropriate for the way I wear them. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this a crazy idea? How should I practically communicate what I've said above to a shoe repairman? What would be a reasonable price in NYC? (The shoes are otherwise in fine condition)
Thanks for any tips
Ben
I think I might ask these guys in your circumstance, and they're in the city too.

https://www.bnelsonshoes.com/

Frankly, I prefer rubber soles for strictly casual shoes. However if you don't, I suspect they could do a double leather sole and pretty much whatever you want done with the heel.

The Dainite rubber soles they now also offer are terrific, and resemble good double leather soles in appearance. But they are costly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.