Men's Clothing Forums banner

Request for Overshoe Recommendations

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Reddington 
#1 ·
Gents,

The rain has returned and will be here until the next July. So, I need to buy a pair of overshoes so not to ruin any more leather soled shoes and would like your opinions / feedback. I am either going to buy Tingley or Totes, but would like to know:

A. Which brand do you prefer / wear?
B. Which model to you prefer / wear?
C. Why?
D. Are your overshoes easily stowed away when not in use (i.e. in your briefcase)?

Here are the overshoes I am considering:

------------------------------------

Tingley 1800 Trim

----------------------------------

Tingley 1000 Commuter

-----------------------------------------------

Tingley 1900 Moccasin

------------------------------------------------

Tingley 1200 Storm

-----------------------------------------

Totes Penny Loafer
https://www.totes-isotoner.com/prod...wear+/penny+loafer+style+rubber+overshoes.do#
--------------------------------------------

Totes Men's Loafer
https://www.totes-isotoner.com/prod...footwear+/loafer+style+rubber+shoe+cover+.do#

Thanks all.

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reddington, in my neck of the woods (central Canada), overshoes are a way of life in winter to protect our shoes from the snow and slush. Otherwise, one would need to wear boots. Unless you're a teenager, in which case running shoes will do.

I've seen Tingleys and they are equivalent to our Acton. Try a few models if you have a chance as the loafers may be a bit tricky in terms of sizing: I have a number of medium ones and I can't get a narrow loafer in them.

#3 ·
Dress Boots?

Feel free to scold me for my ignorance, but what would the members here say to a pair of shell dress boots as an alternative to overshoes?

Will's blog has a pair here:

https://bp3.blogger.com/_Wbd-uMYmb_.../s1600-h/alden+cigar+shell+cordovan+boots.jpg

I can't help but find those infinitely more attractive than the overshoes--plus they look like regular shoes under a pair of trousers.

What say you?

#5 ·
I have one pair of the Tingley storm overshoes, and think they are great. I'll be getting a couple more pairs, just so I can pre-stage them - one at home, another in the trunk of my car, another at work. I may get a pair of the 1900 moccasins as one of the new pairs.

The look on my wife's face when I got home one day last year, and she pointed to the box from the "Tingley Rubber Company" and asked "what is that?" was worth many times the purchase price.

#10 ·
Personally, I use the Tingley storm and the Moccassin but more trad options might be these vintage styles on ebay

1940's HOOD Lastics, Bright General, Overshoes sz.7 Item number: 350092478768

1940's Servus Rubber Over Shoes, Light Loyal, sz. 7 Item number: 220273816176

#12 ·
Feel free to scold me for my ignorance, but what would the members here say to a pair of shell dress boots as an alternative to overshoes?

Will's blog has a pair here:

https://bp3.blogger.com/_Wbd-uMYmb_.../s1600-h/alden+cigar+shell+cordovan+boots.jpg

I can't help but find those infinitely more attractive than the overshoes--plus they look like regular shoes under a pair of trousers.

What say you?
Gee, they sure look nice...

Some posters say cordovan is great for the rain. Others say the water damages them...

#14 ·
When I lived back east I used Totes and Tingley. The Tingleys are better looking and seem to be available in many more styles. The Totes are more generic looking but usually available for about half the price of the Tingleys. Both wore very well for me and I found them both to be very good. I seem to recall finding the tread on the Totes to be better in icy situations. Both were very good in the rain.

If I were going out to get some today, I'd probably get a pair of Totes.

Cordially,
A.Q.

#15 ·
Is shell somehow resistant to salt damage?
I think he was well meaning but a little ignorant of what salt does to leather. Iiving in Suburban Clev OH, I know well the damage salt does to uppers and soles. Rubber covers and protects it. Sure it isn't stylish but it's better than the alternative.

Real shell cordovan is much more expensive than regular leather. Why yould want to leave it unprotected?

#16 ·
Thanks all for your commentary on Tingley's and Totes. Seems the majority wear the Tingley Storm, so I'm going to buy a pair of those and some Tote's loafers to keep in the office.

Being is Seattle, where it rains 300+ days a year, you'd think one would be able to find rubber overshoes in Nordstrom, Macy's or some other shoe store quite easily. Ha! You should see the blank stares I received when I inquired about overshoes. Oh well, thanks to the Internet there's no need bother with brick-and-mortar stores and clueless sales people.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.