Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter I had two leather straps on my duffel coat break. An old thread said to contact Gloverall. However their shipping charges have changed and are now 2x-3x the cost of the replacements. I was thinking of changing over to rope/toggles. Anyone have a source of quality toggles?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I really believe that any good shoe repair shop could access or cut some leather thong like pieces that would be suitable for this purpose. I bought a coat in London about five years ago and just checked in the usual places to see if the ones that came with my coat are still around. We are moving in two weeks and seriously downsizing so there is no way of knowing where (or if) they are still around. If you decide to use rope, I suspect most any hardware supply company would have a suitable rope size. Note: A really funny story in my family lore is that my Grandfather had a suede jacket that he dearly loved but had a hard time negotiating the zipper on. One day he arrived home from work with some screen door latches that he insisted my grandmother sew onto his jacket and he wore that till he became homebound. I do not suggest door latches.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really believe that any good shoe repair shop could access or cut some leather thong like pieces that would be suitable for this purpose. I bought a coat in London about five years ago and just checked in the usual places to see if the ones that came with my coat are still around. We are moving in two weeks and seriously downsizing so there is no way of knowing where (or if) they are still around. If you decide to use rope, I suspect most any hardware supply company would have a suitable rope size. Note: A really funny story in my family lore is that my Grandfather had a suede jacket that he dearly loved but had a hard time negotiating the zipper on. One day he arrived home from work with some screen door latches that he insisted my grandmother sew onto his jacket and he wore that till he became homebound. I do not suggest door latches.
I had a local shop cut me a leather strap. Then a second one broke. After examining the rest, they will probably break next winter. If I’m going to replace them all, I wanted to go rope/toggles. I found some on Amazon but wanted to ask if anyone else had a source. Amazon can be a coin flip on quality with niche items I’ve found.

Duly noted to mark off door latches as an option. :LOL:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts