Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,219 Posts
The best thing to do about smoke ....

is to not frequent any place which allows smoking. No smoking in public places is the law in my state. I wish it were th law in all fifty states. It's a deplorable habit. Before the law against smoking was passed, I used to air out my suits by placing them on the balcony of my cono for a day or two. This is probably the best you can do. If you want to get them dry cleaned. air them out first.

· Registered
185 Posts
2 different types of smoke to consider:
1 - You've been to a smoky bar...let the garment air out as dfloyd notes.

2 - Smoke damage, that is the garment was in/near a fire. This is far tougher to air out. My experience suggests you can try dry cleaning and try airing out, however, there will likely always be a faint smoky smell.

· Registered
316 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
As soon as possible after you leave the smoky environment, hang the suit up and hit it all over with a blow dryer on low heat and a gentle brushing. If you have a garment steamer, that will also help quite a bit. I would only use chemicals like Febreze in a dire emergency. It can't be good for the fabric and I hate the smell of it anyway.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi, this is my first post.

I find a quick spray with the hairspray will do the job for minor one-night smoke smells.
Do not do this, the chemicals may cause a stain themselves. Also, I don't know if I'm right on this, but wouldn't hairspray just cover up the smell rather than get rid of it, sort of like a coat of polyurethane?

Will dry cleaning do it? Fabreeze? Any tips?
To get out that smoke smell, you need to take the clothing to a dry cleaner with a perc machine. Remember, what you are smelling is the thousands of little bits of ash on your jacket. That is dirt that must be removed.

Airing out the jacket is a always a good idea, but you need to get the dirt off of the clothing. I should point out that the debris left from the smoke is acidic, and although it will not eat through your jacket in a month, it is not good for it in the long run. Although there may not be a stain or tinge to the material now, that may occur over time if the debris is left on the material.

Hope this was helpful!

Adam L

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure the author will be along shortly to share the same link, but "A Suitable Wardrobe" reports that the Whirlpool Fabric Freshener does a great job of removing cigar smoke from fabrics.

https://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2007/01/maintenance-whirlpool-fabric-freshener.html

Here in Michigan, anywhere with a printed menu allows smoking. Thus, I don't wear suits when I go out.
I have one of these. It is absolutely fantastic! My suits go right into the machine when I return from the cigar bar. 45 minutes later they emerge wrinkle free and smelling fresh.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Thank heavens . . .

. . . California banned smoking in public places. I sometimes have to think very hard whether I want to travel elsewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.