Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I alluded to in a previous post, I recently took the plunge and bought a new Canali suit.

Though the suit is the right size (I am assuming; I ordered it at Saks and its being shipped to my local store), I am sure it will need some tailoring.

With that assumption comes an important decision, though: where should I get the tailoring done?

Would those of you who have bought from department stores like Saks (i.e. Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, etc.) suggest getting the suit tailored on-site, or taking it as is to a local tailor? I can't imagine an upscale retailer doing a poor job tailoring, but then again, nothing is too shocking these days.

So, what would you all do: tailor in-store, or take it to an actual tailoring shop?

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I guess it would depend on who you know. Also, one of the benefits of department store tailoring is the fact that if you don't like it, you can go back and have them fix it, usually fast and always free. That was my experience anyway. I got a couple of suits at Nordstroms and at Bloomingdales, the Nordstroms suit didn't come out exactly how I wanted it the first time, so in 20 minutes they fixed it, aside from that the suits came out great! Maybe some places send their stuff out to be tailored...thats what I would check...I know my experiences were literally done "in house".

· Vendor
1,739 Posts
What alterations are required? If you only need "basic" adjustments- sleeve length, waist adjustment and trouser length -the store where you made the purchase should be able to do those alterations. That will save you from incurring additional cost. If your build is such that you need more sophisticated alterations their ability to do those will vary from store to store. ( It will depend on the skill of the fitter and the tailors in any particular store.)

· Registered
2,396 Posts
++2 to the above recommendations. In addition, If you have a good tailor in your area that you have had work done by or can get a good referral. See Andy's favorites list for your area. And you are doing special type alterations, ie: working button holes, Crotch or rise alterations, Armhole work or bodywork in the jacket, I would take it to a private tailor. The caveat with this is, If the work is not done to your satisfaction you will have a problem with the private tailor making good on the suit. If Saks screws up you can get another suit or just not pay for it.

BTW, Some dept. Stores now charge for certain alterations even when you buy it retail and not on sale. Check with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.