Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a teenager I wore chukka boots, and since then I stopped wearing boots altogether until a few years ago. I like side gore Chelsea boots in both more moddish and more rugged forms, including suede, and I own but never wear a pair of Alden Indy boots in natural chromexcel.

Lately for some reason I started thinking about chukkas out of the blue, and the idea of a brown pebbled style really appealed. So I bought an ultra-cheap pair from (ahem) Men's Warehouse. And I'm loving them, with all kinds of trousers-- even thinking about the controversial suit combination.

Where have chukkas been all my life? Tempted by these from Peal & co.!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Slightly darker but only $200 plus shipping

I wore my Clark's desert boots yesterday while shoveling snow. They've had Nanoprotector extremely liberally applied since I didn't care if they darkened. When I was done shoveling, I stomped my foot on the step a few times and all the snow fell off leaving them dry.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I picked up these Astorflex before the holidays.They're sold online via Huckberry for $145. I'm pleased with the quality and love the versatility. Made in Italy.

https://huckberry.com/store/astorfl...c8UfIPjGUlZb2f2gFM35igfj-PqEVEZwaAlSpEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at those a few months ago - really liked them (good casual, classic desert boot look) - and was going to order a pair, but they don't have half sizes which (1) knocks me out as I'm an 11.5 and (2) ticks me off because I'm fighting a one-man war against the general "dumbing down of sizes" (see less longs and shorts in sport coats or more alpha sizing in shirts as examples).

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Brooks Bros. has a couple Chukkas that I think are a good deal now. Search for "Red Wing 9017" and "football chukka".
I looked at those as well but wasn't a fan of the more American cut of the shoe if that makes sense. I'm a huge Red Wing fan and currently have three pair. The styles I have lend to a more American work wear vibe. With chukkas I prefer a more European look. Specifically, a Steve McQueen casual.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wow I love those. Those are like a higher quality CDB. I believe I need a pair of those to wear casually with jeans and chinos.
Thanks. That's how I wear these.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Greetings!

I was in a Clarks outlet yesterday, was about to pull the tripped on the Bushacre 2 in Beeswax for $80, but wound up getting it from Amazon for $55 - 20% coupon =$44

I actually like the Bushacre in fit over the Desert Boot, so I am happy with the purchase

For fun, look at the history of Chuka Boots and of C&J Clarks on wikipedia

·
Registered
534 Posts
I looked at those a few months ago - really liked them (good casual, classic desert boot look) - and was going to order a pair, but they don't have half sizes which (1) knocks me out as I'm an 11.5 and (2) ticks me off because I'm fighting a one-man war against the general "dumbing down of sizes" (see less longs and shorts in sport coats or more alpha sizing in shirts as examples).
Amen...and to do this with shoes is really egregiously unforgivable. That said, I gave these Astorflex's from Huckberry a try but returned them. I'm a 9.5D and tried the 9 as it was suggested to size down. They didn't feel patently too small, but just felt awkward on my feet. I think they made the sole more straight with less curve than usual at the ball to try to accommodate a wider range of feet. As some ppl here will know, the ball of your foot aligning with the widest part of a shoe's sole is a key factor in a shoe fitting correctly...so I think in their quest to cut sizes (and cut costs) they kept this aspect more vague with less pronounced curvature hoping consumers would make due.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go chukka!!! I own 1 and only 1 pair of good/real boots [my $12 wal mart snow boots made of plastic dont count]

Got these last months, Loake 1880 brown calf chukkas, Pimlico. A very nice, versatile boot. I can wear it casually with anything or even at work with slacks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.