Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was recently gifted a pair of Red Wing IR 8085s (Rough & Tough), and was wondering if using Allen Edmonds conditioner, cream, wax polish, etc. is okay for them (assuming all products are the same/similar color), or if I should purchase the boot oil from Red Wing.

The store this was bought from oils them for free every month, but I like taking care of my shoes myself. This is my first oil-tanned leather product, so I'd like to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Looking for advice if AE products are fine, or if I should just pick up the boot oil from RW.

Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was recently gifted a pair of Red Wing IR 8085s (Rough & Tough), and was wondering if using Allen Edmonds conditioner, cream, wax polish, etc. is okay for them (assuming all products are the same/similar color), or if I should purchase the boot oil from Red Wing.

The store this was bought from oils them for free every month, but I like taking care of my shoes myself. This is my first oil-tanned leather product, so I'd like to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Looking for advice if AE products are fine, or if I should just pick up the boot oil from RW.

Thanks!
I prefer the Redwing oil made from mink oil and pine pitch. It's safe for rubbing on with the bare hand, doesn't have a strong odor and works quite well for its intended purpose. I've never owned Redwing boots, but their oil is fantastic. I've used it on Wolverines, Justins, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
When in doubt, go with the manufacturer's suggested product. Sure they might mark it up, but one hopes they also have done the testing to see what product works best with their shoes/boots and that they want their shoes/boots to perform well / last / look good for the brand's reputation.

Edit add: that ⇧ or do whatever Roger P says.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Each boot on the RW site has care recommendations on the boot's page. As others have suggested, go with that and enjoy them. I've had mine for 5+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Corcovado
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.