Men's Clothing Forums banner
3381 - 3400 of 3434 Posts

·
Registered
Tie
19,630 Posts
Sliced ham maybe, but not a whole ham. It's not something I enjoy.

But I used to sell them. When going to school I was the assistant manager of the deli department of an A&P. I still only made $1.35 an hour, but I got to close. :rolleyes:

One night when I was in back in the kitchen cleaning up, my helper came and said he needed me because there was a lady by the counter who was really upset. So I went out to the counter and said, "Good evening mam, how can I help you?" She looks at me furiously, and points at a tinned ham and hisses, "That ham!!!"

Immediately realizing that everything was fully on TILT, I enquired tentatively and respectfully, "I see . . . you don't like that ham?" She glares at me and says contemptuously, "No, you're selling Polish ham, that's communist ham!" Playing dumb (Comes naturally.) I respond, "Thank you! I had no idea! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I'll inform the store manager first thing tomorrow!" Slightly mollified she stalked off.

Next day I talked with the manager, explained what had happened and asked what he wanted done. "Take the labels off, and tell her it's Danish ham!"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
How was it like working at an A & P?

·
Registered
27,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,382 · (Edited)
How was it like working at an A & P?

Nose Cheek Eyelash Human body Ear

What's it like getting poked in the eye while being kneed in the groin? :D

Lousy pay, arbitrary and capricious, abusive superiors and rotten hours. But if you have to support yourself while going to school, you take work where you can find it.

If I described some of the things we were made to do, you'd never buy food from a supermarket deli department again! :sick:

·
Registered
Tie
19,630 Posts
View attachment 86834

What's it like getting poked in the eye while being kneed in the groin? :D

Lousy pay, arbitrary and capricious, abusive superiors and rotten hours. But if you have to support yourself while going to school, you take work where you can find it.

If I described some of things we were made to do, you'd never buy food from a supermarket deli department again! :sick:
:)

As being a cart attendant for 15 years there have been ups and downs, The workers were nice but where I was put on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn during the Stop N Shop days, the neighborhood was so disgusting, some days I would find dirty diapers, piss bottles and snot rags all over the parking lot sometimes it was so nauseating but I'm glad to come back to my old neighborhood where I used to work, the people are very nice and the parking lot is pretty clean. 🙂

·
Registered
27,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,384 ·
:)

As being a cart attendant for 15 years there have been ups and downs, The workers were nice but where I was put on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn during the Stop N Shop days, the neighborhood was so disgusting, some days I would find dirty diapers, piss bottles and snot rags all over the parking lot sometimes it was so nauseating but I'm glad to come back to my old neighborhood where I used to work, the people are very nice and the parking lot is pretty clean. 🙂
Your old job sounds truly miserable! :mad:

Very glad you've found something better, and closer to home! (y)

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,882 Posts
On the subject of steak, I come down hard on the side of the ribeye. A touch less tender than a filet, I admit, but fully marbled it has so much flavor.

·
Registered
27,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,386 · (Edited)

Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Animal product

+

Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Drink Wine bottle

The lovely photo of the rack of lamb shows lamb which I would consider a bit over-cooked for my preference. I'm not a blue meat fan, but prefer lamb anywhere from rare to medium-rare. The more it's cooked, the gamier it becomes.

As a boy my mother used to prepare incinerated mutton chops. (Sold to her by a butcher as lamb.) I had consequently most of my life assumed I didn't like lamb, when in fact what I didn't like was incinerated mutton chops! :LOL:

If there's a better choice of beverage to enjoy with lamb than Agrentine Malbec, I've yet to find it. This full bodied, rich, mouth filling wine with a big nose stands up to the richness of lamb and makes every bite even better. And it's an amazing bargain. (y)

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,882 Posts
Mother was from Montana where sheep are as important as cattle. I was raised on lamb! I even like mutton but I must agree with brother Flanderian, a delicate application of heat is preferable. Hmmm, I have a shoulder chop in the freezer. Perhaps I should consider getting it out for Sunday.

Reactions: eagle2250

·
Registered
27,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,391 ·
Mother was from Montana where sheep are as important as cattle. I was raised on lamb! I even like mutton but I must agree with brother Flanderian, a delicate application of heat is preferable. Hmmm, I have a shoulder chop in the freezer. Perhaps I should consider getting it out for Sunday.
Had a fella on our flight in the USAFSS whose family was Basque from Idaho. More sheep than people, and so close to their livestock they were like family. ;)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,792 Posts
Had a fella on our flight in the USAFSS whose family was Basque from Idaho. More sheep than people, and so close to their livestock they were like family. ;)
I have heard it said, you just don't want to get too close to your sheep, but I really do so love grilled lamb chops! LOL. ;)

3381 - 3400 of 3434 Posts