Men's Clothing Forums banner
3361 - 3380 of 3396 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL. France is where I experienced horse meat, but if you find yourself travelling to South Korea, one can add dog and cat to their list of gastronomical experiences...all in the interest of cultural expansion of course. ;)
(on South Korea)Dog certainly, although it's not the sort of dog you keep as pets! Are you sure about cats? Never once did I see cat meat on the menu there nor have I heard it being spoken of. I do hear some rural parts of Switzerland cat is still eaten.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,509 Posts
I don't know about domestic cats but back in the Mountain Man era, cougar was considered the height of gastronomy. It was described as a combination of pork loin and ruffed grouse. A friend has some in his freezer but we haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,368 ·
So why do they call it Easter steak? You're supposed to eat it on Easter evening?
Among Christians, Easter is the end of Lent, a 40 day period during which some Christians practice fasting. So by then, you're really, really hungry and you NEED a great big whoppin' steak! (And likely also because it takes a whole year to be able to pay for it! :eek:)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,697 Posts
Among Christians, Easter is the end of Lent, a 40 day period during which some Christians practice fasting. So by then, you're really, really hungry and you NEED a great big whoppin' steak! (And likely also because it takes a whole year to be able to pay for it! :eek:)
This recently passed Easter we had Honey Baked Ham for our dinner entree...thought it would bring down the cost just a bit. However, coming in at just over $11 a pound, it wasn't much of a savings. Alas it just was not that special (coming straight from the mouth of Mrs Eagle!). Next year we will just take out a loan and go twith the "big whoppin' steak!" LOL. ;)

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,370 ·
This recently passed Easter we had Honey Baked Ham for our dinner entree...thought it would bring down the cost just a bit. However, coming in at just over $11 a pound, it wasn't much of a savings. Alas it just was not that special (coming straight from the mouth of Mrs Eagle!). Next year we will just take out a loan and go twith the "big whoppin' steak!" LOL. ;)
Among steaks, I have an overwhelming preference for filet mignon. In a former life, used to buy a whole tenderloin and slice it into individual steaks that were as thick as I wished. Would take one, wrap the edges in bacon secured with a metal skewer, and broil to my preference.

Yum!

In that same former life, I would purchase an embarrassingly large Harrington's spiral cut party ham each Christmas for nearly endless eating.. (Their smoked pheasant is pretty good too!)

The one issue is that while it can be warmed, it really needs to be served cold. Loses a lot of flavor when eaten heated.

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

·
Registered
Tie
19,540 Posts
Among steaks, I have an overwhelming preference for filet mignon. In a former life, used to buy a whole tenderloin and slice it into individual steaks that were as thick as I wished. Would take one, wrap the edges in bacon secured with a metal skewer, and broil to my preference.

Yum!

In that same former life, I would purchase an embarrassingly large Harrington's spiral cut party ham each Christmas for nearly endless eating.. (Their smoked pheasant is pretty good too!)

The one issue is that while it can be warmed, it really needs to be served cold. Loses a lot of flavor when eaten heated.

View attachment 86778
I love ham.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Yum!
We have availability of whole untrimmed tenderloins in my area. I prefer to purchase and trim because I will have several options. I generally end up with individual steaks, cut very thick. A nice uniformly cylindrical roast, and enough smaller pieces to use for Grilled Kabobs, for Beef Stroganoff and sometimes for Beef Tar-Tar. Trimmings can be used to when creating beef stock. My wife loves Tenderloin, and I enjoy it for specific uses....my preference is very rare and sliced very thin for cocktail party sandwiches. The meat melts in your mouth. That said I prefer the flavor and texture of a good Ribeye to all other cuts.

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,376 ·
That's if we can fit in our refrigerator and it also depends if My Mother wants to cook it.
It's already cooked, and slathered in crusty maple sugar glaze. Tear off a hunk, and start eatin'! :cool:

Best served chilled. Never had it in the summer, but I do sometimes like cold dinners in warm weather, and this would figure nicely with some cold baked beans and my World's Best coleslaw.

Vertebrate Cartoon Mammal Gesture Happy

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,377 ·
We have availability of whole untrimmed tenderloins in my area. I prefer to purchase and trim because I will have several options. I generally end up with individual steaks, cut very thick. A nice uniformly cylindrical roast, and enough smaller pieces to use for Grilled Kabobs, for Beef Stroganoff and sometimes for Beef Tar-Tar. Trimmings can be used to when creating beef stock. My wife loves Tenderloin, and I enjoy it for specific uses....my preference is very rare and sliced very thin for cocktail party sandwiches. The meat melts in your mouth. That said I prefer the flavor and texture of a good Ribeye to all other cuts.
YUM!

Though I confess to being a wussy and preferring my steaks cooked medium.

Chateaubriand anyone?

Food Ingredient Recipe Animal product Beef

·
Registered
Tie
19,540 Posts
It's already cooked, and slathered in crusty maple sugar glaze. Tear off a hunk, and start eatin'! :cool:

Best served chilled. Never had it in the summer, but I do sometimes like cold dinners in warm weather, and this would figure nicely with some cold baked beans and my World's Best coleslaw.

View attachment 86817
Have you ever bought ham from the supermarket?

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,379 · (Edited)
Have you ever bought ham from the supermarket?
Sliced ham maybe, but not a whole ham. It's not something I enjoy.

But I used to sell them. When going to school I was the assistant manager of the deli department of an A&P. I still only made $1.35 an hour, but I got to close. :rolleyes:

One night when I was in back in the kitchen cleaning up, my helper came and said he needed me because there was a lady by the counter who was really upset. So I went out to the counter and said, "Good evening mam, how can I help you?" She looks at me furiously, and points at a tinned ham and hisses, "That ham!!!"

Immediately realizing that everything was fully on TILT, I enquired tentatively and respectfully, "I see . . . you don't like that ham?" She glares at me and says contemptuously, "No, you're selling Polish ham, that's communist ham!" Playing dumb (Comes naturally.) I respond, "Thank you! I had no idea! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I'll inform the store manager first thing tomorrow!" Slightly mollified she stalked off.

Next day I talked with the manager, explained what had happened and asked what he wanted done. "Take the labels off, and tell her it's Danish ham!"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,697 Posts
We shop for most of our meats at the Patrick Space Force Base Commissary meat department. I pick my tenderloin and the butcher will cut it anyway I like it....generally it's 2" thick steaks. Yum!:(

3361 - 3380 of 3396 Posts