Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new (i.e., not used) informal, textured navy sports coat or blazer (vented, no surgeon's cuffs) to be worn with chinos or possibly nice jeans. Patch pockets are fine. I can spend up to around $250. So much of what I see at this price point is either unappealing and/or has minimal texture. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Thank you.

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts
I'm looking for a new (i.e., not used) informal, textured navy sports coat or blazer (vented, no surgeon's cuffs) to be worn with chinos or possibly nice jeans. Patch pockets are fine. I can spend up to around $250. So much of what I see at this price point is either unappealing and/or has minimal texture. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Thank you.
Hard to go wrong with Orvis. Not sure about current price point but I've worn them all over Europe with never a problem. The Orvis blazer is a poly wool blend with patch and flap pockets, 3/2 but it does have darts. No surgeons cuffs and center vent.
Your suggestion of Orvis which has long been a go-to resource made me curious concerning your suggestion, and their Travelers blazer which they've long offered is now up to $329!

But what may be of greater interest to the OP is a casual, unlined blazer, which would actually be more suitable for his intended wear, and has now gone on sale for $199.

Get 'em while they're hot! (AKA, not sold out. ;))

Blazer.jpg

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to go wrong with Orvis. Not sure about current price point but I've worn them all over Europe with never a problem. The Orvis blazer is a poly wool blend with patch and flap pockets, 3/2 but it does have darts. No surgeons cuffs and center vent.
Thanks. I've been reluctant to consider a blend. Perhaps I should?

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your suggestion of Orvis which has long been a go-to resource made me curious concerning your suggestion, and their Travelers blazer which they've long offered is now up to $329!

But what may be of greater interest to the OP is a casual, unlined blazer, which would actually be more suitable for his intended wear, and has now gone on sale for $199.

Get 'em while they're hot! (AKA, not sold out. ;))

View attachment 47813
Thanks for this. I wanted something that would have some warmth and this one is advertised as for summer. I probably should have stated that up front. Something lined would be best.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
In general, I've been reluctant to go for a wool/poly blend. In practical terms, assuming the jacket is mostly wool, do such jackets look different? I imagine that they are a bit more robust. All things being equal, is pure wool noticeably warmer?

I should add that I'm looking for something with a natural shoulder -- not much padding at all. I'm also quite slim, so something with a traditional cut may require quite a bit of alteration.

· Registered
2,786 Posts
I remember this brand from when I was a kid. Is this decent quality stuff? I'll search for the thread.
Yep, this is the original owners son who brought the company back to life about 6 or 7 years ago. They only make blazers now and possibly only in navy. I have not looked at them for a while but many on this forum liked them

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,122 Posts
Yep, this is the original owners son who brought the company back to life about 6 or 7 years ago. They only make blazers now and possibly only in navy. I have not looked at them for a while but many on this forum liked them
They also offer them in solid black.;)

· Registered
2,786 Posts
I dont think they have an inordinant amount but it has been about 6 or 7 years since I tried one on and ultimately with with a BB 3/2 but If you look up the thread on AA I suspect it was covered and/or you could engage the owner who frequents this forum from time to time and ask.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Check through the H. Stockton final sale stuff, don't use the size picker on the left, it's not totally accurate. Sort from high to low and scroll down for something you like. I have a whole slew of stuff picked out and am debating how much trouble I'll get in versus how much enjoyment I'll get from it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.