Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an e-mail provider?

I signed on to Earthlink when they were a local Pasadena-based company. That was long ago and their customer support and quality of service have declined sufficiently that I feel it necessary to change providers.

Thanks,
Gurdon

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
It can be a big nuisance changing your email address -- all those contact and sites where you used the old address...

Once I decided to get email and high-speed internet access from the same ISP and phase out the old email address. Then I moved to another part of town where my new ISP did not offer hight-speed access and I was back to dial-up. It wasn't very convenient...

·
Registered
507 Posts
It depends a bit on what your needs and expectations are. Personally, I have a gmail account. However, if you are very concerned for your privacy, then that is not a solution for you, as they do scan your mail for marketing purposes (this is why they will allow you to gmail a .zip file, but not a .rar file).

Using the email that came with your ISP is problematic because if you change your ISP, you now have to redistribute your email address to everyone who had the old one. And the new Internet makes it nigh on impossible to move your old messages from the one email system to the other (this worked seamlessly from the 1970's through the late 1980's when mbox and usenet message formatting was the same and all email clients used the same format).

The only way to get an email address without compromises is to either have your own system or have an email address on a friend's system. That is, get someone with a co-lo box or with static IP at their home that has an always-on server on the internet to let you leech off them. If you're technically sharp and have some disposable income you can set up a LAMP server with Cricket (pretty simple way to do it).

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
AOL provides free email services that includes multiple addresses regardless of which internet provider you use. I have several friends who use the free AOL service and like it. They can change their IP service as often as they want and still keep the free AOL email address.

Cruiser

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I will follow up and see where I take my email business.

Regards,
Gurdon
Dear Gurdon,

For a good email service(free) I like Live.com. Fairly new so you might be able to get your full name and you can check your email from Any Computer Anywhere in the world no matter who your ISP(internet service provider) is.

For instance my ISP is Comcast, but if I switch to AT&T, Verizon, etc., I can still use my same Email address eg. [email protected].

I wish I would have done it sooner.
Another positive is all of your mail is stored on live's secure servers-so you'll never lose your stuff!

Regards

·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
large file/digital photo issue

Something I failed to mention initially is my desire to be able to send large files of images. I don't know if it is possible to email them or does one have to mail a disk. I am thinking in terms of one or several high resolution pictures.

Or is it necessary to compress images prior to emailing them.

Having gotten images from a borrowed digital camera into my new lap top (an apple), I am so far unable to successfully send them as attachments. I can, however, send text and pdf attachments successfully.

It must be obvious that I know very little about computer stuff.

Thanks,
Gurdon

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
For those who don't wish to be wedded to a verizon.net or similar, is there a good provider who can set you up with a customized e-mail address? [E.g., [email protected]]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
One thought is to get a free account from each potential service. Test them to find which ones have the online features that work best for you. After that if you find one you like, add a pop account if you need it and you are set. I have tried several and found the isp email accounts are generally the most cumbersome but yours might be different.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Something I failed to mention initially is my desire to be able to send large files of images. I don't know if it is possible to email them or does one have to mail a disk. I am thinking in terms of one or several high resolution pictures.

Or is it necessary to compress images prior to emailing them.

Having gotten images from a borrowed digital camera into my new lap top (an apple), I am so far unable to successfully send them as attachments. I can, however, send text and pdf attachments successfully.

It must be obvious that I know very little about computer stuff.

Thanks,
Gurdon
Sending them "Uncompressed" has ALWAYS proven problematic for me!
I always send the disc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.