Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relocating to Philadelphia next week and am welcoming any tips on places to visit (clothing, thrift shops, non-tourist restaurants, pubs, etc).
I will be living in the city, near the Italian market.
Looking forward to your recommendations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to philly

I'm from that area. PM me if you'd like more specific info but here's the direct link to the Queen Village/Bella Vista forum on phillyblog - excellent source of info.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
some favorites

Philly is a second home, as I schooled there for 8 years, and now live 30 minutes away. Favorite restaurants include Dante and Luigi's, Alma de Cuba, Fado, and Susanna Foo. Don't miss the Barnes Foundation art exhibit in Merion as well as the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in center city, after you've done the Art Museum, of course. Don't forget the archaeology museum at Penn. In the Italian Market, do cheese at Di Bruno's and cookware at Fante's. Termini Brothers has the best pastry on earth. Geno's is my choice for cheesesteak. I have not shopped for clothing in Philly, preferring NYC instead, but shoes are great at Sherman Brothers. Good luck, and welcome! Bill
p.s. Penn has the best doctors anywhere, IMHO.

·
Registered
754 Posts
^ Good advice overall. I agree about clothes shopping, especially if you are uber-trad (in which case the solution is to take Amtrak up to JPress in NYC a few times a year); however, if you are willing to live slightly on the edge, the Polo shop in the Bellevue is a good one and there is also a Burberrys (their suits and sports jackets are still fairly sound) on Walnut. There is a Barbour shop in Suburban Square in Ardmore, a nearby suburb.

DiBruno's in the Italian Market is great but Claudio's has the best olive oil in the US (own brand; unfiltered) if you are into that kind of thing. If you are into food, also check out the Reading Terminal Market which is slightly less down-at-heel than the Italian but still wonderful in its way. On Thursdays and Fridays the Amish come and you can get a hand-rolled pretzel and a milk shakes.

Philly has great restaurants overall, you really can't go wrong. There are a number of French and Belgian bistros that have popped up recently (e.g. Coquette) as well as a number of great Spanish restaurants and tapas bars (e.g. Amada).

Make sure and add to the museum list the Mutter (medical curiosities) and the Rodin (self-explanatory). Radio station: WXPN (the Penn station). Best movies are at the Ritz.

Welcome to the city...

tjs

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Philly has great restaurants overall, you really can't go wrong. There are a number of French and Belgian bistros that have popped up recently (e.g. Coquette) as well as a number of great Spanish restaurants and tapas bars (e.g. Amada).

tjs
Funny you mention Spanish, as my kids are on a tapas quest between New York and central New Jersey. Any other Spanish favorites in or around Philly? Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
Sarte, I've been to the Reading Terminal Market, that place is a zoo....shoulder to shoulder trying to move around.
Thank you to both you and eyedoc for the museum recommendations and I'll make a point to try a few of the restaurants you've recommended.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Funny you mention Spanish, as my kids are on a tapas quest between New York and central New Jersey. Any other Spanish favorites in or around Philly? Bill
The people who own Amada have opened two other places...just can't remember the names. Sorry.

P.S. Forgot to mention earlier -- one of my favorite restaurants in the city is Cedars, a small Middle Eastern place that I've been going to for 15 years. Nothing fancy, but the food is prepared with loving care. 2nd St. just south of South St.

tjs

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you're into consignment, try the Junior League in Ardmore. Amazing stuff. Center City is so depressing shopping wise. However, do give Freeman's Auction House a chance. A great place to pick up classic furniture and rugs. Beau Freeman is a sweet heart of a guy and most of the folks there will help you out if you're new to auctions.

Philadelphia is great for books and antiques. Just don't go looking for any sort of clothing.

The best martini in town is made by Murray. An institution from the old Harrys in CC, Murray works at the Wyndham Hotel Bar (was the Ritz Carlton) in Liberty Place. He is an encylopedia for South Philadelphia and generous with his secrets.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

·
Registered
754 Posts
...The best martini in town is made by Murray. An institution from the old Harrys in CC, Murray works at the Wyndham Hotel Bar (was the Ritz Carlton) in Liberty Place. He is an encylopedia for South Philadelphia and generous with his secrets.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com
Interesting recommendation. I for one will try him out. I like the Martinis at the Happy Rooster.

tjs

·
Registered
862 Posts
Love the Rooster. For a while there it looked like management was hiring the best looking women in Phila to tend bar...although most of them could only pour wine out of a bottle.

Murray's the real deal. He was a very loyal Phila following. Although, he's not very good looking.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I grew up in Philly... If you don't eat at Pat's Steaks, you are a pinko communist pansy bedwetter!!! Ditto with Old Original Bookbinders...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.