Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pair of shoes made for me at John Lobb a few years ago. They need new soles and heels. I called John Lobb in London to ask about getting this done and they said that their rep would be in NY soon and to give them the shoes. They would be sent to London, redone and returned to me. Then I asked the price...it is 500GBP...now about $700.
Somehow, in these times, that seems a bit crazy.
Does anyone know whether I can just bring these shoes to a really good shoe repair shop in NY?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There are two John Lobb companies, John Lobb (London) who make only bespoke shoes:
https://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/

and John Lobb (Paris), who make bespoke shoes in France and ready-to-wear shoes in England:
https://www.johnlobb.com/

Bespoke shoes can be easily recognized by the label. If you find on the insole liner (sock) a ""handwritten" John Lobb, they will be bespoke.
If you see a logo, made from the letters J and L, they will be ready-to-wear. A refurbishment of a John Lobb ready-to-wear will be
considerably cheaper. Contact the New York branch.

If you don't know who made your shoes, post a picture here.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had a pair of shoes made for me at John Lobb a few years ago. They need new soles and heels. I called John Lobb in London to ask about getting this done and they said that their rep would be in NY soon and to give them the shoes. They would be sent to London, redone and returned to me. Then I asked the price...it is 500GBP...now about $700.
Somehow, in these times, that seems a bit crazy.
Does anyone know whether I can just bring these shoes to a really good shoe repair shop in NY?
Hello,
I was told by Mr Moore at Fosters that it was fine to have your shoes re-heeled at a local cobbler as this was an easy job and they weren't likely to mess it up. However he said re-soling was another matter entirely. The Fosters resoling price is roughly half the price that you have been quoted by Lobb so, if you aren't worried about having your shoes remade on their original lasts, you could use Fosters or Cleverley and save some money that way. I'm sure Lobb would tell you that having them remade on generic lasts might change the fit of the shoes, though.

I suppose given that Edward Green charge £175 or so for a remake and their shoes are a fifth of the price of bespoke Lobbs then the relative price of resoling shouldn't be a surprise. Lobb's prices are exceptionally high for everything they do. Charging more than £100 extra for a pair of shoe bags for example or over £600 for felt bath slippers borders on daylight robbery in my opinion!

Chris.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John Lobb Shoes

These are bespoke. And I had them made at John Lobb in London.

Thank you for all your replies. It makes sense that getting new heels is one thing but soles might present a greater challenge.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Given that these shoes are bespoke, I would ONLY take them to a fine bespoke shoemaker for repair. John Lobb is expensive, but your original cost was high that to start going cheap on the repair my harm them in the long run.

If cost at Lobb is an issue, then take Chris's advise and ask Cleverley or Foster for a quote.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello,
I was told by Mr Moore at Fosters that it was fine to have your shoes re-heeled at a local cobbler as this was an easy job and they weren't likely to mess it up. However he said re-soling was another matter entirely. The Fosters resoling price is roughly half the price that you have been quoted by Lobb so, if you aren't worried about having your shoes remade on their original lasts, you could use Fosters or Cleverley and save some money that way. I'm sure Lobb would tell you that having them remade on generic lasts might change the fit of the shoes, though.

I suppose given that Edward Green charge £175 or so for a remake and their shoes are a fifth of the price of bespoke Lobbs then the relative price of resoling shouldn't be a surprise. Lobb's prices are exceptionally high for everything they do. Charging more than £100 extra for a pair of shoe bags for example or over £600 for felt bath slippers borders on daylight robbery in my opinion!

Chris.
100 pounds is way overpriced for shoe bags in general, but the Lobb shoe bags are in a class all of their own. They are individually made and sized for each shoe and are made by hand of wool with finely sewn cotton piping and a stainless steel zipper. Considering the quality of the workmanship and materials, these actually seem to be a good value.

·
Registered
964 Posts
100 pounds is way overpriced for shoe bags in general, but the Lobb shoe bags are in a class all of their own. They are individually made and sized for each shoe and are made by hand of wool with finely sewn cotton piping and a stainless steel zipper. Considering the quality of the workmanship and materials, these actually seem to be a good value.
Hello,
Each to their own I suppose but don't you think that, having spent almost a third more on a pair of bespoke shoes with no fitting (when compared to Fosters and Cleverley) that the shoe bags should be thrown in for free?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The Lobb price is high.

Go to Lobb if
a) you view the shoes as an investment to wear the rest of your life.
b) you want the shoes to rest on the original last; this is part of the restoration process;
c) you want to be assured that your shoes will be repaired with comparable materials and workmanship and that your shoe will look close to the original; and
d) you are particular about small details and what the shoe to be 100% Lobb; e.g., Lobb will place new heel cushions with its name, etc.

Go to another bespoke shoemaker if
a) you cannot adjust to the Lobb price; and
b) you want materials and workmanship comparable to the orginal (such as channeled sole, waisted sole, etc.).

Go to a local shoe repair shop (apporx. $80-100) if
a) you want the lowest price; and
b) you want a quick turnaround time.

I have used shoe repair shops to resole Edward Greens and Crockett & Jones shoes, and I have been satisfied. One of those repair shops is the famous Jim's, and another is my local guy, Stanley's Cobblers' Shop (115 Broadway). However, the local guys cannot duplicate the same same patina and look of the original. If that is important, stick with Lobb.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
small repair Lobb shoes

Thanks for this good information on repairing John Lobb shoes. I inherited my mom's Lobb shoes which, although made for her, fit me perfectly.

The back seam on one shoe is loose and needs to be re-sewn (top of seam, about 3/8 inch); should that type of repair be done at Lobb only? If so, I'm willing to do so, but where to mail them? (London? Paris? I had heard that Hermes bought them...my research on line isn't clear on the question). Thanks for any help.

·
4,819 Posts
Thanks for this good information on repairing John Lobb shoes. I inherited my mom's Lobb shoes which, although made for her, fit me perfectly.

The back seam on one shoe is loose and needs to be re-sewn (top of seam, about 3/8 inch); should that type of repair be done at Lobb only? If so, I'm willing to do so, but where to mail them? (London? Paris? I had heard that Hermes bought them...my research on line isn't clear on the question). Thanks for any help.
I'd let Lobb do it, those shoes are an investment!

Resewing should IMO be done by the manufacturer. Also, having them repaired by someone else voids any warranties.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would only go though JL.

Before my purchases, I knew that resoling through JL would be high, so when the time comes for my shoes, I'd look at them and consider whether light refub will make them look awesome again. If the shoes are too worn out, take that refurb fee and get a new pair!

I estimate at least 7 more years for my shoes (all on rotation), so who knows how much the fee will be by then...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Bear in mind Bengal Stripe's comment above about there being two John Lobb companies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.