Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this jacket stack up in the experience of forum members? I purchased one recently and was surprised how good the fit was. On the expensive side I thought but nothing felt as easy to wear for a long while

How is it for wear and tear? (Hopefully not the latter).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Ralph Lauren in silver on blue label without the word Polo and retailed about 2.5 K? And probably a Jerome# model?

It's a better grade Corneliani. Cashmere is not a hard wearing fabric, even worsted.

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
Cashmere is luxurious to wear. While it is much more delicate than Shetland or lambswool, it is not as delicate as most people think. There are different qualities and weights of cashmere. Good quality cashmere that is 11-12 ounces should give you good wear. Of course if the jacket is now your favorite and you give it three years of wear in one year it will show wear more quickly.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have 2 of these jackets, one from Off5th for $149 and the other from eBay for $250. They are so soft, and wear very well. I do love them, and especially at those markdowns. The stickers on them were over 2K.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That is my size. Are you offering it or just showing an example? How much and what store did you get it.
Not available, just an example of the non Polo RL blue label sleeve tag. A couple of years ago the retail was around $2500. "Jerome" is Jerry Lauren, RL's brother and the head of menswear. A Jerome IV is similar to Polo IV (long ago "Astaire" before Fred, or the estate, stopped that) with side vents and ticket pocket. I'm not sure if the line has continued.

The line was apparently conceived to bridge Polo and the better quality SantAndrea RLPL (there are two quite different makes of RLPL tailored clothing). Basically Polo styles upgraded.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The line was apparently conceived to bridge Polo and the better quality SantAndrea RLPL (there are two quite different makes of RLPL tailored clothing). Basically Polo styles upgraded.
I just got a glen plaid Jerome III suit on ebay for about $350. Like the Polo III it has 2 buttons and a ticket pocket, but padded shoulders with a roped sleevehead. So I would consider the style much different than Polo. The trouser styles are basically the same as the Polo suits: double forward pleats. Mine have side tab-adjusters without belt loops, but I've also seen some Polo suits like that.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I just got a glen plaid Jerome III suit on ebay for about $350. Like the Polo III it has 2 buttons and a ticket pocket, but padded shoulders with a roped sleevehead. So I would consider the style much different than Polo. The trouser styles are basically the same as the Polo suits: double forward pleats. Mine have side tab-adjusters without belt loops, but I've also seen some Polo suits like that.
Re wear: I'd not contradict Mr. Winston. I'm a mere amateur.

Can't dispute what you've got. I have one of the example above and it has relatively natural shoulders with little shoulder padding and not roped. Less padding than the RLPL/SantAndrea natural shoulder model. Perhaps a straighter waist, trimmer skirt and a bit longer than Polo. (When I reference Polo in this context I'm talking about mid decade Polo, not the contemporary, skimpy Polo goes Pee Wee stuff.) I think it was part of the fall 2005 line and I bought it in the summer of 2006. They could have tinkered with the line.

Even Pietrafesa-made Polo of the early '90s could sometimes have somewhat squared shoulders, especially in tweed, but not roped sleeveheads. (In the first week of his CBS association Letterman wore what appeared to be a RTW Polo DB brown chalkstripe flannel suit that appeared unfortunately boxy on him. He's since gone custom. Ever heard of Augustus? Letterman wore Augustus on his morning show. One digresses. Sawray.)

In the early Norman Hilton days most all Polo suits had Dak type side button tab beltless trousers. I've a birdseye/nailhead Polo SB peak lapelled and vested suit from around 2005 that has Dak type beltless trousers. There are $400+ Polo odd trousers with beltless waists. But I think beltless waists are now mostly found in the lines at price points above Polo. Most have buckle adjustments rather than bottons. Some on the waistband, some cover the waistband seam. Waistband seam tabs are usually attached via hand sewning. Glance at the underside of the side adjusters. Might reveal a buckle source other than Italy.
(photos for illustrative purposes, sold long ago)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.