Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen this Sanyo Coat in a store? I found it online but only in the color black - I really want to get something like this in tan - it's single-breasted with lapels, etc. Would love to try it on:

Also trying to find a retailer with a selection of London Fog Single Breasted Trench Coats. I've had a really difficult time locating them online or at an actual retailer.

I tried on a Burberry single-breasted trench today and it was nice - but it wasn't $1200 nice. Wondering how this will compare to the Brooks ($700), Sanyo Caroll ($500) or Jos A Banks ($350). I also tried a few inexpensive coats from Lands End but they just didn't fit well at all - I returned them.

Seems like the industry segement is lacking in options. It's impossible to find an Aquascutum in the US and London Fog has dropped off the face of the earth. Just can't see spending $1200 on a trench from Burberry...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same issue you had and finally found a single breasted trench at H. Herzfeld in NYC. The maker is Valstar (they apparently made the trench Humphrey Bogart wore in Casablanca). Depending on what, if any, lining you want they run in the $900-1,000 range.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I recently bought a beautiful Aquascutum made in UK single breasted raincoat from Yoox for around 250. Absolutely love it; wonderfully made. And yes, I believe HB's trench in Casablanca was made by Aquascutum.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We carry Sanyo and will be receiving London Fog shortly so to answer your questions:
1. Sanyo makes a terrific coat (trenchcoat, topcoat, sporty outerwear). Their quality standards are high and shoulders quite clean.
2. London Fog has had their share of issues over the years moving from owner to owner. Frankly, I lost track of them for several years. While I have confidence in the current license holder to produce a nice garment and a solid value, it is not the same quality level as Sanyo.

Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
We carry Sanyo and will be receiving London Fog shortly so to answer your questions:
1. Sanyo makes a terrific coat (trenchcoat, topcoat, sporty outerwear). Their quality standards are high and shoulders quite clean.
2. London Fog has had their share of issues over the years moving from owner to owner. Frankly, I lost track of them for several years. While I have confidence in the current license holder to produce a nice garment and a solid value, it is not the same quality level as Sanyo.

Good luck with your hunt.
Do you gentleman have a website?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently bought a beautiful Aquascutum made in UK single breasted raincoat from Yoox for around 250. Absolutely love it; wonderfully made. And yes, I believe HB's trench in Casablanca was made by Aquascutum.
Wish I could find another Aquascutum on sale... No luck so far.

I checked with Sanyo - they are no longer making the Rhodes but have a few in black on sale - but not in my size. Check the website - prices are updated.

The Caroll and Brisbane seem to be long enough to be considered a proper trench. At the end of the day - I really do like the look of the Burberry single-breasted the best. If I can find a cheaper clone - i'm gonna get one.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this trench at Brooks:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa..._Id=1098115&Parent_Id=222&default_color=Khaki

25% sale is coming up this week. This coat is quite similar to the single-breasted Burberry version and will come in at around $525 on-sale. The Burberry runs $1200..

Only concern is the quality - i've always been happy with BB quality but this puppy is made in Thailand. Does anyone own this coat? Anyone have any experience (good and bad) with BB items that are made in Thailand?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.