Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be taking a trip to London in 2 weeks and thinking about what to pack has emphasized a wardrobe absence that I have actually needed to solve for quite some time.

The trip is for pleasure thus other than my day on savile row, I will not be in suit and tie (i.e. wool pants, cotton trousers, possibly denim) - attire much closer to the business casual/casual side of the spectrum.

I have been wanting to get a Barbour to serve as a raincoat for some time, in casual settings.

I have concerns on using something that is inherently a piece of sporting outerwear in the city...are these concerns valid do you think? Would I look like a rube wearing a Beaufort in London with 'dressier' wool slacks underneath?

The other alternative was obviously a classic trench, however, my concern there is perhaps misguidedly the trench has a 'dressier' conotation to me than odd slacks (or jeans) and a sweater (i.e. great for a jacket and tie but what if I am dressed more casualy than that).

What do you guys think? What would be most appropriate in the city, and London specifically - given the clothes I plan to be in?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Check the weather report and wear whatever sounds appropriate. Maybe a trench coat and sweater/odd slacks would work well.

I would have no objection to somebody wearing a field coat anywhere in a major city, provided they were also wearing casual trousers. If your idea of casual includes wool pinstripes, perhaps a trench coat would be more reasonable. What looks bizarre to me is somebody wearing a trench with overtly casual pants.

Thomas

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I am going to be taking a trip to London...
I have been wanting to get a Barbour to serve as a raincoat for some time, in casual settings...
For the country, probably OK. For town, not so good.

If you are going for pleasure, I think a regular tan trench coat would be good enough. However, if it is for business in town, I would suggest something like a Crombie or British Warm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.