Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off online chat w/ LL Bean cust svc, who confirmed that the Weekend Oxford -- the last must-iron, unlined, unfused, all-cotton, classic OCBD Bean offered is discontinued and unlikely to return.

I bought a dozen of these things last year when I tried them and fell in love, and now I'm kicking myself for not buying a few more dozen. At $25 they were easily the best value in a straight-up must-iron OCBD -- I've got half a dozen Mercers in my closet and the Weekends were every bit as nice, falling short only in that last weensy degree of Perfect Collar Roll. Out of the dryer they looked great, despite the lack of non-iron crap. Just a perfect OCBD at a low price. How Things Should Be.

So I guess it's back to Lands' End's $20 OCBD. Not a bad shirt. Better than Brooks. Pink's a little loud, though. White and light blue are fine. Still, Bean should've kept the Weekend in the lineup. A great, great shirt.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ouch. I have 2 shirts and they are amongst ym favourites. they wear very well too... I wish I had bought more when they were still available. Why do companies rush to kill good products? Are the non-irons that popular, really? I bought 2 non-iron shirts from LE just to see what the non-irons are all about and I am returning them ... I much prefer cotton shirts.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That stinks. What would you say is the next closest thing to the Weekender? LE Hyde Park?
Hyde Park's fabric is too thick and stiff my my taste. I prefer LE's standard $20 must-iron OCBD as the best cheap equivalent to the discontinued Bean Weekend Oxford. I don't feel it's quite as nice of a shirt, but it's pretty damn good, and pretty much the only good quality, unlined, must-iron, non-logo OCBD I know of at this price point.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The Continental Fop said:
Just got off online chat w/ LL Bean cust svc, who confirmed that the Weekend Oxford -- the last must-iron, unlined, unfused, all-cotton, classic OCBD Bean offered is discontinued and unlikely to return.

I bought a dozen of these things last year when I tried them and fell in love, and now I'm kicking myself for not buying a few more dozen. At $25 they were easily the best value in a straight-up must-iron OCBD -- I've got half a dozen Mercers in my closet and the Weekends were every bit as nice, falling short only in that last weensy degree of Perfect Collar Roll. Out of the dryer they looked great, despite the lack of non-iron crap. Just a perfect OCBD at a low price. How Things Should Be.
That's terrible news, although I thought they killed it a year ago. I have only one, but it's far and away my favourite OCBD, better even than my BBs. The fit is perfect, the collar is great, and they just seem like Quality.

Damn, damn, damn.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
So I guess it's back to Lands' End's $20 OCBD. Not a bad shirt. Better than Brooks. Pink's a little loud, though. White and light blue are fine. Still, Bean should've kept the Weekend in the lineup. A great, great shirt.
In what ways? I much prefer the collar on Brooks Brothers.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Same here ... BB has a nicer collar and beter fabric. The LE OCBD is definitely worth the $15-$20 you pay for it, but I don't think it is better than BB slim fits. However, I liked the Bean OCBD better than both LE/BB because it fit me better, and was a steal at that price. I am so disappointed to see that they have discontinued it ... and just when I was thinking of making a purchase too.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I was thinking about it, but the lack of slim fit was a deciding factor.

While I like Brooks Brothers' collar better, I wish they'd make the lining lighter or nonexistent.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't wish to rehash the Brooks sucks/doesn't suck debate, but in the case of the company's OCBD, I prefer the Bean Weekend for its fabric, which is truer to the version Brooks sold years ago; for its sizing, which, in medium, fits me perfectly; and finally, for its price ($25) which is what a quality OCBD shirt should cost. It isn't haut couture. It's a button-down. The Bean is perfect -- all-cotton, must-iron, unlined collar/cuffs, no logo, good collar roll, tough as nails, wearable right out of the dryer, nice enough to wear with a blazer and chinos but cheap enough that if you get it dirty changing your oil you don't lose sleep over it. Well, now you do, because you can't buy them anymore.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
For those (like me) who loved BB's Weekend Oxford, I'd recommend the Walmart Faded Glory OCBD. I bought several a year or so ago when I found them online and they took them off the market. They're back at $12 each. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.