Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see that quoddy has raised all of their prices - unlined boat shoes are now $187 and the camp/canoe mocs are in the $160s.

it'll be interesting to see how this plays over the next year or so when the fashion set - who presumably are at least partially responsible for the increase in demand - have moved on to other things.

·
Registered
643 Posts
That is quite an increase. What were they, $105 a month ago??

O'Connell's still has the cinnamon canoe moc listed for $125, though I suspect that will change when existing stock runs out, if not much sooner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I couldn't be happier with the three prs. of Quoddys I have, but this nutty price increase is either an unfortunate typo on their site or they have completely lost their minds. $206 for a pair of boat shoes? From a company that takes 6 months to fulfill an order and another 6 months to finally ship the right shoes in the right size? I was willing to accept Quoddy's, uh, charming eccentricities as part of the bargain their shoes represented. But at double the price? Not a chance.

Glad I got in and out when I did. Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Could it be that they can unload their limited production in Japan and Europe at higher prices, so.......?

(Quoddy was acquired by Dunham Boot in 1987, but the article states that the Shorey folk started it in 1998. Don't know what happened to Dunham's ownership, but I know Quoddy has been around longer than 10 years. The Shorey's must have purchased the brand.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
So here's a question: how easy is it to find a shoe shop that can do the resoling? I only ask because I'm now worried about being able to get my bluchers resoled should they sink the company over the rather substantial price increase.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Holy crap! Look likes I should have ordered the penny loafers this year, they're now $183!? Way, way too expensive for me.

Resoling is still only $15, I'll be getting my canoe mocs resoled from now until kingdom come.

Brian

·
Registered
437 Posts
The sad part of all this is that Kristen Shorey and all the folks at Quoddy I've dealt with on the phone and in email have all been extremely friendly and great to deal with. I love the shoes but I also loved knowing that they come from a smallish, old-school Maine shoe maker and that they're the real McCoy, not Chinese knockoffs thereof. That the Shoreys decided to raise their prices so dramatically, or felt they were forced to, is really unfortunate. I can't imagine there's really a market for $206 boat shoes, no matter how great they are, when you have to wait 6 mos. for a pair. Not when Sperry, Bean et al sell perfectly fine boat shoes for $100 or less.

I am curious why the Shoreys decided to suddenly double the price of their shoes in the midst of the worst economic downturn in modern history? Such nice people, such an odd move.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I am curious why the Shoreys decided to suddenly double the price of their shoes in the midst of the worst economic downturn in modern history? Such nice people, such an odd move.
That's the million dollar question I guess, it just doesn't make sense. If anyone talks to them, I'd be curious to hear what is their reason for such a large price increase.

A complete shot in the dark, but maybe they raised the prices hoping to reduce demand so they could bring down lead times? If that is the case, I fear once they work thru the back log they won't have many new orders.

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
perhaps this is their way of moving away from selling directly to customers and focusing more on selling through retailers.

they already make shoes/boots for rogue's gallery and yuketen as well as some other european brand whose name escapes me at the moment. these are all re-branded and marked up significantly of course - rogue's gallery (based in maine) for example sells the boat shoe for over $300 and is only available in black with the camp sole.

the japan remark is probably not far off base, arrow moccasin out of massachusetts and russell do big business there and are highly sought after.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I love my Qouddys but, can't see spending that kind of money for them. Sort of glad I picked up my five pair (3 boats and 2 penny loafers) on the old pricing schedule...I can only hope they last as long as I do! :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm about as big an Alden fan as they come, but their new boat shoes don't do it for me. They look a little prissy, not like a real boat shoe. I have their Camp Moccs which are just a few bucks more and look much better.

Sorry, but a boat shoe and a "real" shoe are two different things, designed for two very different purposes and to very different material/workmanship targets. Not to knock Quoddy, but making a decent boat shoe out of haphazardly-stictched jerky-grade leather and a cheap rubber sole is not the same thing as making a pair of calf dress shoes. That anyone would pay north of a hundred bucks or so for BOAT SHOES is ludicrous to me, like $200 jeans and $25 cigars. That's jackass territory. When my Quoddy boats bite the dust (and they will, because I'm harder on them than on any other shoe I own), I'll chuck them and get a pair of Beans.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am really glad that I ordered my boat shoes a month ago. But I think you guys are being a little harsh on Quoddy. No one likes price increases expectably when the price goes up this much. But if I owned Quoddy I would definitely increase the price. Judging by the number of comments about how long it takes for Quoddy to get the shoes to you, it is clear they have quite a backlog. Its simple supply and demand. The demand for the Quoddy Shoe is greater than there ability to manufacture shoes. Quoddy has two choices to meet the demand, expand their production capacity or raise prices. In questionable economic times, the safe bet is raising prices (you can always lower them if the price is too high). Expanding production (likely) through debt is much riskier, and quite frankly might not generate higher profits than just raising the prices.

Hopefully this will help kill the backlog, and then they will lower the prices again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Supply and Demand

Well, there's also Profit Margin. Surely Quoddy also has some problems with rising raw material costs, gasoline increases, our sad dollar, etc. Why does no one think the price increase is in response to the current economic situation? Does anybody think it better to buy one "good" pair of shoes instead of two, three, or a dozen of lesser quality? Dear Old Dad bought Nettletons from the first time he paid for his own shoes, though at the end of his time, he was the only buyer at the small shoe store where he shopped for decades. The loss of Nettleton is a real American Tragedy, but it wasn't the first and I fear more will follow shortly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.