Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Regular readers of this forum will recognise me as something of a hard core tobacco afficianado, having smoked like a chimney for just shy of forty years, and never far from a roll-up cigarette, a cigar, or a pipe.

However, I am today able to report that it is now over five weeks since my last indulgence of the stimulating leaf.

As I age so it seems that my vices must desert me one by one. More's the pity.

'My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!'

- Edna St. Vincent Millay

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
“If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous. Have you noticed that? I'd like to find the bastard that thought that one up.”
-Lemmy Kilmister

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shaver:

And just when I was thinking about taking up smoking!

Always too cheap, all my life, to start! (Figured it would cut into my shoe budget!)
Quite so - it is an expensive old do.

Aside from the myriad health benefits associated with cessation, and from which I am already beginning to notice significant improvement, I now enjoy a further £160 (that's over $200) per month disposable income.

I never should have trusted Dr Batty......

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Good on you!

I still smoke my pipe at least once a week with a group I smoke/drink with in Pakistan on Friday evenings. I like the temporary pause from the day-to-day that smoking provides as well as the excellent company it affords. Smokers, in my estimation, are typically the best people.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
3,969 Posts
"However, I am today able to report that it is now over five weeks since my last indulgence of the stimulating leaf."

Perhaps the leaf has captured millions of people? Though they think it is stimulating.

Five weeks is quite an accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Count me as impressed. Though I have never smoked, I have had a number of family and friends who did so and I have tried mightily to convince each and every one of them to stop. A few did, but many did not...quitting is a very challenging undertaking! Shaver, my friend, there are so many things about you that I admire and quitting smoking is one more item that I will add to that list. Congratulations!

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Well, time to short tobacco stocks! ;)

I have to say, though, in the USA I never encounter smokers any more. The other day I went to my office (I only actually go there once every week or two), and their was a lone fellow outside the building having a smoke, looking very out of place. He kept his eyes downcast, as though admitting "yes, I'm a dinosaur"; perhaps it was my amazed glance which unnerved him.

That said, I was camping in the mountains a couple of weeks ago, and met an old man walking along smoking a pipe. Plaid coat, white beard, pipe, mountains: a classic scene. We chatted a while, and he was a man living in the mountains, in a log house with a wood-burning stove; we discussed fire-building (an interest of mine.) I'm happy such folk still exist; I just don't want them ruining my alfresco dining experience!

DH

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Good on you!

I still smoke my pipe at least once a week with a group I smoke/drink with in Pakistan on Friday evenings. I like the temporary pause from the day-to-day that smoking provides as well as the excellent company it affords. Smokers, in my estimation, are typically the best people.
BSR: I enjoy your posts. Do you by any chance moonlight as the copywriter for the J Peterman catalogue? Sure seems like it.

And Shaver: Such welcome news! May you live to be 110. Congratulations.

· Registered
3,969 Posts
Back in the seventies the regular down hill skiers didn't smoke. It is one of those sports where you need all the oxygen you can get. Clogging up ones lungs with tar and whatever else comes from smoking tobacco destroys the purpose of skiing - the most fun that can be gotten.

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Back in the seventies the regular down hill skiers didn't smoke. It is one of those sports where you need all the oxygen you can get. Clogging up ones lungs with tar and whatever else comes from smoking tobacco destroys the purpose of skiing - the most fun that can be gotten.
Unlike water skiing which just requires a boat and copious amounts of beer.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
I can't manage cigarettes, but a good pipe or a quality cigar is a real treat. Like POTUS W.J. Clinton, I don't inhale.

I do collect tobacciana. Tobacco was such an integral part of daily life (and death!) just a few years ago. I have my grandparents heavy crystal ash trays which are real treasures. There are some great tobacco related objects out there that can be converted to contemporary, and more healthy, usage.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
1,901 Posts
Good for you Shaver.

My dad was a big smoker and it was the COPD that killed him. While the damage done cannot be reversed, quitting does allow for the damage to stop and some healing to take place.

Plus, as you said, it is bloody expensive. As a kid, I totaled the costs up for my dad one day.

He didn’t like that very much, lol.

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good for you Shaver.

My dad was a big smoker and it was the COPD that killed him. While the damage done cannot be reversed, quitting does allow for the damage to stop and some healing to take place.

Plus, as you said, it is bloody expensive. As a kid, I totaled the costs up for my dad one day.

He didn't like that very much, lol.
Thanks VP and to all for the kind words of encouragement.

My paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather both made it to 99 years of age, Old Ma Shaver is in her late 70's and still going strong, most of my aunts and uncles remain in remarkably fine fettle despite their advanced years, and so there is a very real possibility that, with a little care, I may yet receive a telegram from Buck House.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Good on you!

Cheers,

BSR
This sounds like fun...smoking and drinking in Pakistan...I would love to come.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.