Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to tread the waters of clothing psycology,but, I'm looking for opinions on the polyester quilted jackets made by Barbour,among many other brands. I notice many, many women wearing them..very rarely a man. Are they,by their very design,"feminine" or "unisex", or asexual? I think they're kind of sharp looking,but not into cross-dressing (just joking,O.K.?). Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
They can be worn by either sex without any problems or issues. Men should probably avoid yellow, red, and some of the "brighter" colours. Although they have always been more popular among women as fashion clothing, farmers in rural UK wear the things quite often (dark green or navy blue, jacket or vest, and usually old and covered in farm 'stains'). I have an old Barbour one which has gotten constant use for a decade and it is as useful as a blazer.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not to be overly defensive,but,no,it's not the "same difference".The first refers to the lack of a DISTINCTION between the sexes;the second to the lack of sex, or sexual quality,ITSELF,no?
No need to be defensive at all. The question mark was there so that you could elaborate on your title. I agree that there is a difference in the seperate definitions of the words. But, that distinction blurs when you apply the words to a question about whether or not clothing can be worn by a human male, female, or either. The fourth option that you seem upset about, asexual, doesn't actually exist in humans, except maybe through a horrible accident, so it doesn't apply. If you are applying the term to the jacket then yes it is asexual since none of my jackets have ever reproduced in the closet. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll just go ahead and belabor.I did not ask if the jacket COULD be worn by men.The question asked was if there was something inherent IN THE JACKET ITSELF that suggested why it was worn predominantly by females.And when I asked if "they" were feminine,unisex or asexual,the "they",obviously refered to jackets,not humans.Note,too,that my dictionary defines asexual as "sexless" and need not refer only to humans. As they say,what goes on in the closets stays in the closets.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Made for the Working Man

But then adopted by the Gentry, copied by the Middle Classes. Later heavily marketed to Women as "cute" and in a rainbow of colors. Some men likely choose to wear something other than what wifey/sweetie has in a dozen colors. But I think very much like the Bean barn coat -- Mr. has his and Mrs. has her dozen.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Aside from color, I think the womens' models are also usually tailored and nipped in at the waist. The man's cut is boxy and straight.

In the muted and/or dark colors with a boxy cut, it's a man's jacket as well evidenced by our above fellow members.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you're 6'+ and live in England, or the Continent, you're probably these are in vogue. I was recently in Amsterdam and saw many tall men from late 20s to early 50s wearing these jackets (in navy or green colors) with jeans/cords and chukkas. Great look.

If you're short, skip these. They are naturally a bit effeminate looking, especially in the US. You need to be tall and masculine to pull one of these off, IMO. The thing is that in the US i see lots of soccer moms wearing these, but very few men. In Europe I've never seen a woman wearing one but have seen many men wearing them. Especially in northern Europe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wear a Filson Outfitter tin cloth with wool liner. You'll make the Marlboro man look prissy.

Seriously, my brother in law and father in law both wear these quilted things and I keep forgetting to ask them when the next quilting bee is. They look like jacket liners, not jackets.

Now if they are liners, and you take off the cotton shell after a pheasant push to cool down while watering the dogs and counting your haul, and they have a few splotches of blood on them, then they're not only acceptable, but desirable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.