Men's Clothing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just brought home a beautful pair of Zanella linen pants from Filene's Basement.All of my other pants I've kept uncuffed,but for some unknown .reason,these ,to my eye,cry out for cuffs.Are cuffs customary for linen? One other thing...why should linen NOT be put in the washer?..Shrinkage? Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It will shrink if you put it in the washer, my mother did that on accident with a shirt of mine...both the washer and dryer. It was illfitting after that to say the least.

If you want the pants cuffed then do so, it's personal preference.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've never cuffed my linen pants. For me, they're like chinos or jeans: uncuffed and uncreased. Because they wrinkle, I only wear them as "summer" pants. I like them to look like I just came off the beach: rumpled, with a dusty pair of venetian moccasins or shell cord penny loafers (sockless). I pretty much live in linen pants from June to September. I dry clean them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think cuffs on a pair of linen pants would look sharp. I wouldn't hesitate to have a pair of cuffs added. I will concede this however, if you are going to be wearing them as a kind of outside cocktail party pants or nights out in the heat etc. then have them cuffed. If you are going to wear them morning till night or just out and about then dont bother, keep them as informal as possible - but they are Zanellas, they probably look fairly dressy even for linen.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
To a degree, I think it also depends on the type of linen. Will it be a crisper irish that holds a better crease? Or perhaps and italian with it's looser weave and resulting "less structured look"? You can do cuffs on either of course...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your views.I think because of the fine linen(it's not a loose weave)and tailoring already in the pants,I'll go with the cuffs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts