Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, Gentlemen.
I read several threads how to look after shoes and felt I needed to clean my shoes from wax/polish build-up. I have found two cleaners in my house:
1. Punch Active Trainer Cleaner Gel with Deodoriser; https://www.punch.ie/consumer/htm/p...category=&lang=en&area=shoecare&product_id=53
2. Punch Cleaner Restorer (Cleans, Conditions and Restores). https://www.punch.ie/consumer/htm/p...tretchers&lang=en&area=shoecare&product_id=51
These both products state that they are suitable for leather goods. In your opinion, are these materials good for shoe cleaning, i.e. not only from normal dirt caused by regular wearing, but also from build up of wax and polish? I will be using them on ordinary office shoes.
I wanted to buy separately shoe cleaner and shoe conditioner, but could not find them in the UK shops. When I asked about saddle soap in a cobbler's shop (Timpson), I was told they probably were no longer in production. So, it looks like the only place I can buy separate leather cleaner and conditioner are car/furniture shops. Is there any benefit of having separate cleaner and conditioner, and is there any benefit of buying non-shoe specific products? At the end of the day leather remains leather, but shoe leather is usually tougher than leather in cars or sofas, so I suspect products for shoes might have different strength/concentrations from products for cars or sofas, but, as stated before, I might be wrong.
Finally, I wanted to buy mink oil to waterproof my shoes, but again I do cannot find them in normal shops, shops have only waterproofing sprays. Any advice on a shop chain that sells mink oil for shoes?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have never used either product but it looks like they are for athletic shoes. They may even contain a bleaching agent for whitening. Saddle soap is available in US stores from WalMart on up. You can find mink oil there also. Check your local mega-type store for both products. If not try a sporting goods store. Good luck.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanx Andy. I realize now that I only addressed the products in the OP and not proper shoe care. BTW Omega I only use mink oil on work boots since it interferes with polishing. Follow the links that Andy gave you for some better advice.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for advice. As long as any leather cleaner, I will get it from one my nearest stores. It may sound strange, but here in the UK there are not many shoe cleaning or leather cleaning products in supermarkets, including Asda-Walmart.
One more question: after you buff your shoes with horsehair brushes, do you wash the brushes from polish? I feel not washing brushes will leave them too dirty, but washing them damages wooden handles...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do not wash the brushes.

Keep separate brushes for different colors (one for black and one for everything else at a minimum).

Brushes get no dirtier than your shoes - just keep them in a box by themselves.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this, and based on them, I have taken to isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner. (Soneone proposed the use of vodka, which is a terrible waste!) A dab on the rag, and off you go. It will dull the surface as it takes off the dirt and old wax. Now, the next step: I recently tried Kiwi's Leather Creme to condition, followed by a coat or two of Kiwi paste wax. Thusly, exotic products are avoided, and my AE's and Aldens have never looked better! Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.