Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally saw a pair of these in Toronto a few weeks ago and I was impressed. The AE shell cordovan seems to have a stronger brown shade than the Alden/BB shell, and the leather used for the soles appears to be better than what AE uses on their calfskin shoes.

https://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ae332randolphsize12dshehl4.jpg
https://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ae314arandolphcordocl2.jpg

However, I know from Patrick and from watching eBay that Randolphs in shell sometimes split or tear at the side of the strap (as in the photos below):

https://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofae137gnb2.jpg
https://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofae153dlw1.jpg
https://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofae162cri8.jpg

I know some of you guys own this shoe and hopefully you can comment on this issue. Does it happen often? Has it happened to anyone here? Any other issues with this shoe (i.e. comfort, etc.)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I really hated this shoe. The soles felt like wood blocks to me, and sounded like I was wearing Dutch clogs. Also, the heels on both shoes did not present a flat surface (the rubber inserts were set unevenly) so they were very loud, and very slippery (as only one small area would make contact with the ground). I have been told that the heel issue is common for AE.

These were my first shell shoes, and they were almost my last. They were my last pair of AEs though, and that probably will never change. I have a couple of other calf AEs, but they don't get worn.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have both black and #8 Randolphs - both seconds. I am a bit surprised to see that sort of a tear. The stitching cam come undone (and it happened on my Alden LHS) - but that is an easy fix.

I am not a fan of black shell, and Randolphs take second fiddle to Alden LHS - so they do not get much use - but so far so good.

The soles and heels are different (better materials) from AE calf offerings, but some issues may arise due to smaller runs with different materials. Still, if the heel is not flat - that's a second quality shoe (at best). My seconds do not have those issues.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I own 2 pairs, suede and burgundy shell cordovan.
Both are very comfortable.
I've seen a few shell Randolphs on ebay with that tear on the strap. Either the shoes were too tight and/or the previous wearer
had too high of an instep for the shoes.

The way AE sews the strap to the body of the shoe can put too much stress in that area and tear the strap if the shoe is too tight across the instep.
I can't recommend what I did when I first bought my shoes. But I "relieved" a few of the stitches that attached the strap to the body. I knew this model could tear from pictures I had seen. I don't have a high instep and my shoes aren't tight but I didn't want to take that risk that they could tear.
So my shoes don't have that "stress" issue that you've seen. I only did it on my shell loafers. The suede Randolphs are sewn differently across the strap.

All Allen Edmonds shell shoes get the better J. Rendenbach (J.R)soles and heels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't comment on the Randolph, but I recently picked up some AE Bradleys in Shell. I swear they are brown. No hint of red in the color. I ordered them expecting burgundy, but I was surprised to get a brown shell shoe. Decided to keep them b/c my brown shell collection is limited compared to the burgundy.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone! You've all posted really useful comments and observations. I have a high instep, so I suspect these might not work for me, but I will try them on when next in Toronto.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have any more experience with these shoes in calfskin?
Has the calf version ever split on anyone (like the shell sometimes does)?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does anyone have any more experience with these shoes in calfskin?
Has the calf version ever split on anyone (like the shell sometimes does)?
I have the Randolphs in shell. I am wearing them today.

I bought them about a year ago and have worn them fairly frequently.

They are a little big, however, they have not split anywhere and
have held up quite well.

I still like the look of the Polo Darlton better--however, they just don't fit me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had a pair of calf Randolph's in chili for a couple of years now. While I preferred the fit and finish of the older, similar AE model (I think it was the Hamilton(?) which I had in a dark brown pebble-grain calf), these have held up rather well to fairly regular use. No problems with stitching, separating insoles, etc. And they are a nice, and I believe a bit dressier based on the toe shape, alternative to the LHS. Just make sure you try a few size/width variations to see if you can get the right fit.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I too have Randolph's in burgundy and they were my first pair of shells. I have worn them for ten years on average from once a week to once a month currently.

They have held up wonderfully, no issues at all.

BabyCatcher, if your Randolph's split did you contact Allen Edmonds?

I have over forty pairs of Allen Edmonds and I have had to return a couple of pairs over the past twenty years. Every time, without exception, they have bent over backwards to be helpful.

Here's a current example. I ordered two custom made pairs of Allen Edmonds. One pair of shells and one of a pebbled grain calf. No doubt their quality is fine but I am not happy with the thickness of the soles and the welts. (in essence they're not what I had asked for)

About two months ago the CEO of Allen Edmonds called me on my cell phone to see what could be done to make my experience with Allen Edmonds perfect. On a scale of one to ten I would call that a ten in terms of customer service. What do you think? (Please reply)

I have not sent the shoes back to Paul Grangaard's attention as he requested because I've just been too wrapped up in work, But I'm sure Allen Edmonds will see to it that I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gman-17 said:
Doc, what about the McGraw? You have commented on this one before but curious why the Randolph over the McGraw?
The only reason is because the Randolph is available locally so I can try it on. The McGraw is only available via the website. Also, somewhere along the line I stopped disliking full-strap loafers. I probably won't pull the trigger, though, since I have a pair of Everetts on the way and I still want a good tassel loafer. I would really prefer to see the Cole return, which I think was a good looking penny loafer, similar to the Alden LHS but with the raised mocc stitching around the toe that made it really stand out.

I just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone had any probs with the strap.

For trivia buffs, the older version of the Randolph was extremely short-vamp and had no foxing around the rear counter. Quite a different shoe, despite looking similar at a glance.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Doc D,

I have the calf Graysons and am really pleased with them.

I got some shell MacNeil's last year and the leather is just as nice as my new Alden tassels - maybe a little less red in colour.

Do you get your AEs from Harry Rosen - the markup is killer.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The only reason is because the Randolph is available locally so I can try it on. The McGraw is only available via the website. Also, somewhere along the line I stopped disliking full-strap loafers. I probably won't pull the trigger, though, since I have a pair of Everetts on the way and I still want a good tassel loafer. I would really prefer to see the Cole return, which I think was a good looking penny loafer, similar to the Alden LHS but with the raised mocc stitching around the toe that made it really stand out.

I just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone had any probs with the strap.

For trivia buffs, the older version of the Randolph was extremely short-vamp and had no foxing around the rear counter. Quite a different shoe, despite looking similar at a glance.
Doc, thanks for the thoughtful reply. As you know, I always value your opinion. As big an AE fan as I am, I have never been crazy about their loafers, but all of sudden I have this craze to purchase both the Grayson and the McGraw. Of the two, I really want the Mcgraw. I really think AE needs to focus on loafers as much as bluchers and balmorals.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Randolphs have become one of my favorites. I have them in burg and black shell and in chili calf. None of them are showing any signs of the problems with the strap. I can't wear the LHS because of the tightness across the instep, but these fit like they were made for my feet.

Amazon was running a deal on the Randolphs a while back, I paid $224 for my black shell pair. Might be worth checking there periodically to see if they are discounting your size.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Strangely enough, some ebayed black Randolphs were my first pair of shell shoes. I got them for a steal, about $25. Not necessarily bad shoes, the sizing just wasn't quite right. I'd get another pair if the price was right. At one point I thought the Randolph was a poorly executed copy of the Alden full strap loafer, but it really is a different beast entirely. I'd put it closer to one of my true loves, the Darlton penny. Other than the heel foxing and larger penny slot, the overall shoe is very similar. It is higher vamp with a full strap, although the strap isn't floating like on the Darlton. Overall I think it strikes a nice balance between a dressier penny like the Alden full strap and the more casual LHS.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crownship said:
The way AE sews the strap to the body of the shoe can put too much stress in that area and tear the strap if the shoe is too tight across the instep.
So my shoes don't have that "stress" issue that you've seen. I only did it on my shell loafers. The suede Randolphs are sewn differently across the strap.
I just noticed these two pairs on eBay: one is shell cordovan, the other burgundy calf. It looks like the strap on the shell version is only a single layer of shell, which may explain why it is a bit vulnerable. The calf version looks like a double layer of calf. Or maybe my eyes are playing tricks?

https://img260.imageshack.us/i/copyofbhk9h5q2kkgrhquok.jpg/https://img187.imageshack.us/i/copyofbhlevigmkkgrhqiok.jpg/

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the Randolph in black calf. No issues other than the heel seems to not be flat with the sole. I bought them as factory seconds so i can't complain much. I like the shoe.

FWIW, I have a high instep & the Randolph works for me. Very glad I bought them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.