Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum members,

I have not posted in awhile, but I have had something on my mind lately, which I believe is worth discussing.

It appears the general consensus among members, is a preference for matched patterns, both on shirts and on suits/jackets. I notice on non sack suits, the cinch appears quite prominently near the coat waist pockets, usually creating a clash in pattern.

Is it not possible to line up the two edges of fabric, so the cinch occurs at the very edge of the vertical design, and cut the two edges of material, to create an hourglass shape for the vertical pattern, leaving the horizontal pattern unaffected?

Does this require too much work? It seems as though it would not be a significant change in labor time, if the methods were practiced. Maybe some of the more schooled sartorial veterans could fill me in on the details? Perhaps in integrating the canvas lining, it is difficult to make the pattern arrangements?

That being said, would it not be possible to eliminate the front cinch altogether, and create a nipped in waist, simply by cutting material away at the side seams? This would leave the front of the jacket unaffected, and allow for easier pattern matching on the waist jacket pockets, as is usually the case on the breast pocket.

I suppose the reason I am asking, is that I should be looking at purchasing a bespoke jacket, on my next trip to England, and I would want to be as informed as possible, before I start asking for unreasonable services from the unfortunate tailor.

Best regards,
:DSiegfried:D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.