Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 6 months, I have been asked a number of times if I would give "Dress for Success" seminars...clients have asked me to give them in their offices and a couple private clubs asked me to give them as "lunch and learn" seminars...I have always kind of smiled and dodged the offer as I am TERRIFIED to speak in front of large groups (large defined as more than 5 people :)) ...well, it came up again today and I am considering taking the plunge...

I am putting together an outline for discussion and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback of things I might want to add or remove...(these seminars are geared toward men obviously)

This is what I have so far...

1. Definitions of Casual, Business Casual, and Business Attire
2. Colors - what colors convey and when to wear certain colors
3. What a "Basic Wardrobe" should include and how to build on what you have
4. Fit - (basic guidelines in terms of sleeve length, pants length, etc)
5. Appropriate shoe suggestions
6. When to wear certain shirt styles (cuffs, collars)
7. Basic pattern matching (how to match jackets, ties and shirts)
8. Basic body type styling (what to wear if you are tall, short, slim, etc)

I have been asked to speak for approximately 20-30 minutes so I want to keep things basic, informative and interesting (assuming I don't pass out or throw up in the first 2 minutes :))

Anyone have anything else to add, remove, etc?

· Registered
233 Posts
Good for you for taking the plunge. I teach several "tech" classes and I have found if you are comfortable with the material you will be fine.

I do think that you will struggle to cover everything listed below in 20-30 minutes.

If you can do a dry run with people you are comfortable around you should have a better idea of how long it will take.

Good luck!

Over the past 6 months, I have been asked a number of times if I would give "Dress for Success" seminars...clients have asked me to give them in their offices and a couple private clubs asked me to give them as "lunch and learn" seminars...I have always kind of smiled and dodged the offer as I am TERRIFIED to speak in front of large groups (large defined as more than 5 people :)) ...well, it came up again today and I am considering taking the plunge...

I am putting together an outline for discussion and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback of things I might want to add or remove...(these seminars are geared toward men obviously)

I have been asked to speak for approximately 20-30 minutes so I want to keep things basic, informative and interesting (assuming I don't pass out or throw up in the first 2 minutes :))

· Registered
273 Posts
Seems like you've got a good comprehensive list - I'd be impressed if you could squeeze all that in in just 30 minutes. My only suggestion is, if it's only going to be 30 minutes you'll definitely want to put together a handout or booklet - ideally with some photo examples.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

· Registered
1,034 Posts
A quick review of Andy's CD should give you about all you need.

Be sure not to fall into the "seasonal" color thing that women seem to like. It really doesn't get used for guys. Besides eveyone looks ok in blue and grey.

You might want to mention that black suits are one of those things that some people (AAAC) dislike.

Your list missed the easiest one--well shined shoes. Guys look at shoes and, I think, the shirt knot fit on the collar first. You could also mention the big square toes are out and rubber soles should be limited to casual dress.

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I will definitely do a dry run to make sure I fit into the time slot...if anything, I would talk too fast and run short!

Gng8 - I am with you 100%! (I think you and I have posted in threads together before and been in cahoots ;))

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Your outline looks good to me and I am sure that you will do just fine, although, as suggested above, you might have trouble covering all of those topics in 20-30 minutes. I guess you can determine that by having a practice session with friends.

If you did run short, you might have Q&A session at the end.

Cheers, Jim.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have always found the essential premise of "Dress for Success" to be both obnoxious and often ridiculous as presented in Molloy's book. But that's what sells. If you titled your seminar, How to Look Better and Not Dress Like a Boob When You Go To Work, I'd be a lot happier, but of course, no one would attend.

Dress IS a language. And as with any language how you say something can be as, or more, important than what you say. Language can also be beautiful or ugly. I'm of the firm opinion that the world already has enough ugly.

Your outline looks splendid. And I have no doubt that your clients will be fortunate to have your assistance and be much the better for it. And you'll help make the world a little less ugly.

Since you're about to enter show business, break a leg, WardrobeGirl! :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Well done on taking the plunge.

I have presented a few courses, each being six one-hour sessions. Obviously these were quite comprehensive and for those with a strong interest in men's clothing. I think I would struggle to do a single one-hour session and not have it sound like a rant.

If you are interested in the powerpoint slides I use please PM me.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
You've covered the basics. I'd add comments on OTR, MTM, and what to buy--canvassed, fused, etc. A lot of men are ignorant of seasonal and regional variations in dress as well. Throw in something about BB, Filenes's and JAB sales as well. You'll be looking at a 45 minute talk and 15 minutes q&a to do it right.

· Registered
3,539 Posts

I have been asked to speak for approximately 20-30 minutes
You have only 2 to 3 minutes per point. I doubt it is possible to cover so much ground.

I suggest that you keep them hungry. It is better to have them asking questions and begging for more than to have them all go away confused because you tried to cover too much at once. Consider this to be your hors d'oeuvre to wet their appetite for more.

I would recommend talking only on proper business attire - proper cloth (colour, weave/finish, and design), and fit. Devote just a bit of remaining time to proper shoes. Have only a single Powerpoint slide for shirts and ties with only 2-3 points on that slide.

1. Intro to the business suit: why present a professional image?
2. Types: SB, DB, 2 vs 3 piece
3. The correct cloth (colour, design, finish of cloth)
4. Build quality: fused vs canvassed
4. The correct fit of a coat (huge topic! - collars, sleeves, length, arm scye)
5. The correct fit of trousers
6. The importance of shoes (levels of formality of different types/colours)
7. Shirts and ties
8. Concluding remarks

With 3 minutes per point plus a couple of questions your 30 minutes will be over before you can blink, let alone faint.

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas and comments! I haven't "taken the plunge" yet...I am still in the formulating stage...if/when I finally do it, I will report back...

Since my business is providing clothing (both custom and ready made) I am not going to be in such a huge hurry to send them to Brooks, Banks, Filene's, etc... ;)...

· Registered
3,539 Posts
Since my business is providing clothing (both custom and ready made) I am not going to be in such a huge hurry to send them to Brooks, Banks, Filene's, etc... ;)...
Aha...all the more reason to concentrate on things that will create a better dress educated bespoke clientèle. Perhaps a point on why bespoke is best would be in order :icon_smile_wink:

· Registered
526 Posts

Congratulations on the speaking engagement. My advice is to pass out a copy of Malloy's book, "dress for success" and have ererone come back in week to discuss what they learned.

· Registered
356 Posts
The half an hour will go pretty quickly, as other's have said I'd keep it basic, and make sure to integrate how your products can fill the needs of "successful" dress.

Also remember being nervous is just your body having an elevated response to being excited. It can't hurt you or kill you, but if you make sure you relax and breathe evenly you can help your body to regulate it's response, and to feel more relaxed. It'll be a good opportunity.

· Registered
487 Posts
While Sator presents an interesting idea which seems to be to whet the palates of the attendees and convince them of the value in assembling a bespoke wardrobe. While that is commendable, I would stick to the broad overview approach. You can leave enough things vague while still introducing the topic. It is important to make people aware of different distinctions to assemble a professional wardrobe. Spend the most time on what is most relevant. If they invite you back, then delve into subjects most attendees are most interested in while slowly prodding them towards ideal dress.

· Registered
115 Posts
I'm assuming this will be a powerpoint presentation.

Some basic guidelines:
Assume about 1-2 minutes talking time for each slide.

The format needs to be this:
I'm gonna tell you want I'm gonna tell you and then I'm gonna tell you and then I'm gonna tell you what I told you.

In other words, you need an "outline" slide at the beginning, and a "summary" slide at the end.

And just a note, even if your first attempt at this goes horribly, don't give up. I'm not a huge fan of presentations, but the more I do them, the better I become at them. In other words if I go a year without giving one (for whatever reason) then when it comes to me giving one again, I'm always nervous in that first one, but it goes away and I get better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.