Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I recently moved to Germany and checked out some dress shirts at a department store. It looked as if instead of the necksize/sleeve length, the european sizing lists only the neck size /chest size. I usually wear 15.5/33 in the US, and these european shirts had really long sleeves. Am I missing something? I could not find anything that hinted at the sleeve length...? TIA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are right, in Germany/continental Europe (i.e. ex UK) shirts are not labeled with a sleeve length. Only with the collar width in centimeters. Your 15.5 would be size 39 in Euro sizes. (15.5 * 2.5 = 38,75). Besides the "standard" sleeve length, you will be able to find 39s in "short sleeves" or "long sleeves", but they will never inidcate the actual length in cm/inches. Don't ask me why. The lack of different sleeve lengths in Germany is one of the main factors why I only buy MTM shirts.

Welcome to Germany and good luck keeping up your attire in this not-so-satorialist country...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess you would want a 39/40. Some shirts actually do mention the sleeve length, but those are normally from british tailors.
German, italian etc. tailors don't do extra sleeve lenghts, but I would not say that european sleeves are too long.
Maybe you got a very casual Shirt, those are sometimes meant to be worn with the sleeves hitting the knuckles (looks horrible, but seems to be in fashion these days).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I thought European shirts had very long sleeves because the assumption was that the buyer would get them altered (i.e., shortened) to fit.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I buy shirts from Jewrmyn St ....

and they usually only have one or two sleeve sizes. I generally have to have the sleeves shortened for a correct fit. I have several Duchamp shirts where I have had the sleeves shortened. This is a simple operation and inexpensive so I don't mind doing it if I rfeally like the shirts (Duchamp and Harvies & Hudson). On rtw, I have to have at least one arm adjusted since one arm is 1/2" longer than the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
German sizes

Hello,

Van Laack shirts may be the answer to your problem. The tag inside the collar (of most, but not all) of their shirts specifies the neck size in inches and cm, but there's another little tag on the inside of the bottom of the placket that also indicates the arm length and chest measurement.

I buy 15 1/2 - 34 in the U.S., and the corresponding Van Laack placket tag reads "40-68 114" (collar tag 15 3/4). The arm length under 68 should do you fine. You might also want to try a 39 instead of a 40.

These shirts are available in most department stores and men's shops. However, the shirts in the department stores are somewhat (marginally) less expensive but also don't seem to be as nice. Most of the men's shops will also let you choose from a book of about 50 materials and order shirts in your size with your choice of collar and cuffs. If there's an extra charge for this service, it's minimal.

One shop that's sure to have these shirts is Soer at Bleibtreustrasse 33.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also noticed this while in Germany. Bought a shirt at P&C, collar fit great but the sleeves are absolutely ginormous. Only after I got home did I find out that it said "extra long sleeve" on there. I guess they do expect most people to tailor the shirts.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've found this to be quite common world-wide for better clothing brands. The manufacturers just assume you're going to get a tailor to shorten it for you. Some brands of pants also come with 36" inseams on the assumption you'll get them hemmed. I personally prefer it that way since after a trip to the tailors, it's a guaranteed fit. Usually a good store will do the alterations for you at no charge.

Plus it makes it easier for them to manage their inventory since they just have to keep a good variety of collar sizes available instead of juggling collar size/sleeve length combinations.

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
rgrpark:

If you look in your copy of the CD-Rom, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes and check out the Foreign Size Conversion Chapter, (Don't have one yet!! :eek: Just check below) you'll find:

Shirts (collar measurements):

U.K. sizes are the same as U.S. (inches)
European sizes are 22 more than U.S. (round UP)
Japanese sizes are the same as Euro sizes
Metric Sizes are 2.54 times U.S.
Plus easy to use charts that don't seem to cut and paste to this format.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a question for you gentlemen along a similar line:

Do the sizes of 2,3,4,5 etc match closely to the small, medium, large, extra large in the US. Are clothes labeled as such often slimmer fitting than the American counterparts?

In particular I'm looking at Ted Baker shirts at the moment.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ok I recently moved to Germany and checked out some dress shirts at a department store. It looked as if instead of the necksize/sleeve length, the european sizing lists only the neck size /chest size. I usually wear 15.5/33 in the US, and these european shirts had really long sleeves. Am I missing something? I could not find anything that hinted at the sleeve length...? TIA.
I go through the same thing when I'm abroad. They always look at my funny when I ask the sleeve length. You and I wear the exact same size, and I find the British retailers a bit better with sleeve sizes. Still, most off-the-rack shirts will be a 34" sleeve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.