Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope this message finds all of you enjoying a happy and healthy holiday season.

I have been speaking with a local tailor about having some slacks made for evening wear.

Living in South Florida, a fair amount of time is spent dining outdoors, etc. and he mentioned that he sometimes uses a "wool crepe" fabric as it breaths exceptionally well and doesn't wrinkle much.

He's always been exceptionally honest and a quality professional so he gave me some disclaimers such as the fabric being "hit or miss" with some people and used somewhat frequently by designers (Armani, D&G, Boss, etc.) for whom he knows I am not a major purchaser.

He showed me some fabric samples but I am curious as to any opinions, etc. the board members may have for my specific pants. I am not looking for pants to wear to the office or a formal event. I am looking more for something to pair up with a button down sans tie and jacket.

I had my own initial opinion but I anxiously await your suggestion, observations, etc.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Never been a big fan of it.

How about a lightweight wool or cotton, unlined.

There really won't be too much difference in terms of comfort in the hot weather and they will look much better.

There was an old man from the cape
who's clothes were made entirely of crepe
when asked do they rip? do they tear?
he said oh here and there,
but they keep such a wonderful shape.
:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I own a pair of black wool "crepe" pants that exactly fit the bill you describe. They're light and cool, but don't feel "thin", and simply don't wrinkle. I've been looking for similar pants ever since. And yes, they are more casual than suiting, but are definitely not jeans. Strangely, crepe fabric is seen much more frequently in womens clothing (dresses and stuff), and not as often in menswear. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
While I don't have any, I've read much about the benefits of Fresco wool. Fresco is woven with a high twist yarn in a plain weave. It allows the most air circulation in heavier weights, thus it won't crease like a light-weight tropical or linen. And make sure it isn't lined, or it won't be nearly as cool.

·
Site Creator
11,759 Posts
A couple of definitions from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:
High twist: refers to yarn that are manufactured with a relatively high number of turns per inch. This may be done to increase the yarn strength or to give the fabric a crepe texture or hand.

Crepe - a worsted fabric characterized by a puckered, pebbly or crinkly surface. This effect may be the result of the use of high twist yarns, embossing, chemical treatment or a crepe weave. In the 19th century "to crepe" meant to put hair up in curl papers from the Latin "crispus" or "curled". The word migrated to use for specialty paper and the curly fabric. By the way we get the word "crisp" from this same root. Crisp bacon is also curled at the edges!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.