Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have a blue blazer with that tag. It is a 346 of unknown age (thrifted). The "Authentic" struck me as odd, too. I am no expert on the subject, but I doubt that there is much counterfeit BB around.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It could go either way, but I lean toward it being an older item. Like I wrote, I thrifted it. It was a thrift shop which has an older constituency and I bought it along with a khaki cotton Brooks Brothers suit which I think is an older item.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I remember that label.
After many years of labeling its various lines by the quality of the suit, i.e., "Own Make," "346," "Brooks University" (a/k/a "Brooksgate"), for a few years in the early 80s, Brooks labeled its lines by the "cut," that is it used the terms "Authentic," "Classic," etc. I am not sure, but I think "Authentic" was a 3-button sack, "Classic" was a darted 2-button, etc. It is now doing that again, with its "Regent," "Madison," etc. lines denoting slimmer and fuller cuts.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I remember that label.
After many years of labeling its various lines by the quality of the suit, i.e., "Own Make," "346," "Brooks University" (a/k/a "Brooksgate"), for a few years in the early 80s, Brooks labeled its lines by the "cut," that is it used the terms "Authentic," "Classic," etc. I am not sure, but I think "Authentic" was a 3-button sack, "Classic" was a darted 2-button, etc. It is now doing that again, with its "Regent," "Madison," etc. lines denoting slimmer and fuller cuts.
Ken is correct but I believe the vintage is probably about 1995-1996. That was during the time Bill Roberti was the CEO and just before the Joe Gromek group tried to morph BB into Banana Repulic. I'm sure I have some of the ads in my archives my they're pretty well buried right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
YIKES!

When I see words like "authentic" and "classic," etc. used this way I release the safety catch on my Browning. They are usually evidence that an institution has lost its way (not to say its cachet) and is thrashing about and trying to find it again. How often have we all winced at those dreadful words "New and Improved!" I am happy, for instance, to note that Coca-Cola has finally decided to drop the word "Classic" from the label of its original product-- the last vestige of one of the most monumental screw-ups in the history of marketing. No reflection on your find, I'm sure you will enjoy it, but that label just reminds me that Brooks Brothers has trapsed down some sad and awkward paths since those days of yore when you could walk into a Brooks Brothers store and never be wrong. I still love BB. though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.