Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first pair of laceup boots - alden indys. Seems the norm is to size 1/2 down which is what i did. The fit SEEMS right with medium weight socks. Maybe a little snug in the instep on my right foot and a little extra heel room. I did speak to someone who said i should have went true to length size but down in width. Anyone go down 1/2 size and realize they should have stuck to TTS or even down in width? Or does 1/2 down in length tend to work for most?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Congrats on the Alden’s. I’ve been eyeing a pair of Indy NST in brown CXL. It depends on the last. For me and most others size down half a size for Barrie lasted shoes. For other lasted shoes I wear TTS. Welcome to the world of the illusive Alden last and sizing! It can also depend on what the uppers are made of. Shell Cordovan stretches less than most leathers. However, Cordovan made shoes tend to run a little larger than other leathers. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to try on different size combinations and buy what fits best.
I usually wear shoe size 10D or E, but my 403 Indys are 9 EEE and fit great.
My cordovan Indys are size 9.5 D and fit perfectly. So I don't know what their formula is.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My first recommendation is to go with the size in your Indy boots that normally provide you with a good fit. Secondly, as member triklops55 says, trying the boots on before purchase is always the preferred way to go.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I am a perfect 11.5 in almost every shoe brand I've bought with Alden being an exception to the rule.

When I first started buying Aldens, I tried on the Alden 11.5, but it was too big and the leather "buckled" on top even in the store on the carpet. When I tried the 11, it was spot on (fit like all my other 11.5 shoes from other makers).

That said, while a shoe or boot should be comfortable on day one, being a heavily constructed boot of leather, there is a period of breaking in where the boot "molds" a bit to your foot. Hence, if your Aldens are, overall, comfortable and not painful anywhere, then my guess is your experience will be like mine where the boot gets more comfortable and any small pinches disappear after several wears.

The other two thoughts I had for you are to consider a tongue pad on the shoe that is snug in the instep but has room in the heel as a tongue pad would modestly shift your foot back in the boot and might both ease the instep issue and improve the heel fit. Tongue pads cost (at most) a buck or two in the shoe repair shop and you can just place it in the boot before you commit (and use the sticky back to affix it) to see how it works for you.

And the last thought was to mention shoe trees as they will help keep the shape of the shoe which, over time, will both extends the shoe's life and give you a better long-term fit.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The trubalance last is by far the most common for Indy boots. Down half a size with normal width is the usual advice. My foot swims in a regular length. I know, because I tried that. Some people do report that they take their regular length. I can't envision how that could be, but so it is. Feet are of course unique.

Non-equine leathers do give a little. Enough to compensate for sock thickness. Shell cordovan leather doesn't really give.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
Referred this question to the Alden Rep, Steve, who you all met at the AskAndy Portland, OR event and he suggests:

We recommend 1/2 size down for most everyone. If they are a really wide width, they might take the regular size but we would recommend ordering E width in this case with a 1/2 size down.
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Referred this question to the Alden Rep, Steve, who you all met at the AskAndy Portland, OR event and he suggests:

We recommend 1/2 size down for most everyone. If they are a really wide width, they might take the regular size but we would recommend ordering E width in this case with a 1/2 size down.
Steve
Awesome! Thank u guys for the feedback!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.