Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend was cleaning out his closet and insisted I take one of his favorite sport coats - a 3-button single-breasted check-pattern. The problem is that it's about one or two sizes too large for me. However, the length seems fine as do the sleeves. (the label indicates 42R and I am 40/41)

Is this something that can be reasonably altered?

Also, what is the name of the pattern?

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
A friend was cleaning out his closet and insisted I take one of his favorite sport coats - a 3-button single-breasted check-pattern. The problem is that it's about one or two sizes too large for me. However, the length seems fine as do the sleeves. (the label indicates 42R and I am 40/41)

Doubt it.It may be possible,but I think it would end up looking a bit,well,odd.And I would say the pattern is plaid.

· Registered
164 Posts

Might be able to make it look respectable if it currently fits in the shoulders and just needs to be nipped at the sides.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Glen plaid ... hmmm

Based on the recommendations, I'm going to look into getting it taken in a bit. Maybe couple it with a black cashmere sweater? The autumn weather is chilly enough.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
A good alterations tailor could make it work as long as your not going more than 2 inches. As long as the shoulders fit and the length works, you should be fine.

· Registered
4,773 Posts
A friend was cleaning out his closet and insisted I take one of his favorite sport coats...
It looks very nice and like it is worth keeping for a while. I know this might not be very comforting, but if you keep it, you are likely to grow into it eventually... And it really does look nice, I think.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Pocket placement

Thanks for the advice.

Glen plaid ... hmmm

Based on the recommendations, I'm going to look into getting it taken in a bit. Maybe couple it with a black cashmere sweater? The autumn weather is chilly enough.
Be sure to try it on with the sweater you intend to wear with it before making any decision about alterations. If it fits your shoulders properly, and the tailor can help you decide if in doubt, then taking it in shouldn't pose too much of a problem. since the length is fine and hence the pockets are in the correct position vertically. The main concern is the lateral position of the pockets after it's taken in. If they are too much displaced to the sides, it will look strange. Someone said 2" is about the limit. I don't disagree with that, but you might just want to have it pinned up and then decide.

Also, since you may well need to take in the chest sides as well as the waist, that may involve partially resetting the sleeves. Since this is inevitably going to increase the cost fairly substantially, you have to launch a cost/benefits analysis to determine whether this gift is going to cost you more to accommodate than it's worth to you. If so, and if you really need a jacket, take the money and get something you like new which won't have fit problems. Naturally, you also have your friend's feelings to consider, but if it isn't going to work or will cost too much, surely he will understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.